Charging an Agency Cancellation Fee?

robb01

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Does anyone know the laws regarding charging a cancellation fee by an agency? If someone cancels a policy mid-term, and the carrier doesn't charge a fee, would it be possible for the agency to charge a 5% or 10% fee for cancelling early?

Yes, an agency that works with a lot of non standard auto, considering implementing an agency cancellation fee.

I doubt it is legal, in my state, we can only charge an added fee for E&S policies.

I would say the first place to check is with your OIC. See if you can legally do so before you consider creating a policy that could get you fined or possibly shut down.

And what would you do if they didn't pay it? Especially since most non-standard is cancelled due to non-pay, not them calling in to cancel the policy.

Dan

And what would you do if they didn't pay it? Especially since most non-standard is cancelled due to non-pay, not them calling in to cancel the policy.

Dan

100% agree, why not charge an up front broker fee with the down payment for the non-standard auto if it's legal in your state then don't worry about the cancellations.

100% agree, why not charge an up front broker fee with the down payment for the non-standard auto if it's legal in your state then don't worry about the cancellations.

They are already charged a broker fee
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dan

Turn it over to a collections agency

Last edited:
They are already charged a broker fee
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Turn it over to a collections agency

You are serious? Do you think that they care... If you are charging a broker fee already why do you feel the need to charge a fee for cancelations?

Back