Cheap Personal Car Insurance for vehicle I never drive due to insured Company Vehicle access??

Trjn

So without having all the details of my work's commercial auto insurance policy at hand, here's my scenario.

I have a company issued vehicle that I use for work constantly (I'm always using it to travel between jobsites and am carrying expensive and sensitive equipment for this position or running errands at all times of day and night). This is insured through our commercial auto insurance policy.

I also have a personal vehicle with auto insurance. Due to my work and lack of personal driving habits I rarely put any mileage on this personal vehicle. In the past 7 years I've accumulated <30k miles (with the bulk of that being prior to having a company vehicle for the first 2 years.

Can I benefit from this situation by getting a per mile type personal insurance policy for low mileage drivers? Keep in mind I put significant miles annually on the already insured work vehicle. Would having my personal car monitored while not having my work vehicle monitored work for this? There's no reason to personally insure my work vehicle so no reason for it to be tracked mileage-wise since it's already insured.

It seems as though this is a great way to save considerably (about $780/year by my math). Additionally, would I need to also get a "Drive Other Car Coverage Endorsement" to cover this potential GAP in my coverage? My research suggests that unless my personal policy covers this (doubtful that my current or any per mile insurance would) that I would need to have this for any incidental personal use?

Situations such as yours are why some carriers are going to the pay per mile plans. Works something like this (different carriers have different rules): You agree to place a device in your vehicle which will transmit usage. You may have a caveat that if you use it for more than 250 miles one day you have to explain the unusual usage. Your premium is based on the coverage you choose and an educated guess as to what your cost should be based on the info you provide. You say you will drive 3000 per year and the premium is a guestimate for that usage on a per day, per mile basis. Your liability premium is a set number and the collision and comp premium is based on the estimate. You would save more than the $750 based on what I have seen in the early numbers for customers.
You do not need to worry about the commercial vehicle because it is insured with a carrier under a commercial policy
Drive other vehicle, or insurance for non-owned vehicles, Is generally permitted under a personal lines policy so long as you have full coverage on your vehicle. It is an added protection on a commercial policy so let's not confuse the two.
If your employer has assigned the vehicle to you and you are permitted to drive it for personal use (check with your employer and the carrier) you should be fine with the thought process. Remember that you can't insure what you don't own so if the carrier or employer say personal use is a no-go then be careful when you are off duty

Back