Check List to Review with Customer

SJ Guidry

Does anyone use a review or checklist to review with your customers after discussing P&C business. Such as "discussed uninsured motorist" yes-no then have the customer sign along with the agent.... it this overkill to prevent E & O?

Scott

Given how litigious our society is, I would cya or cover your heinie and go through a checklist. It makes sure you know they understand what they're paying for and why and that you have advised them contrary of their choices.

I have used a couple options, not working in P&C actively now (life/health), but am in a full lines agency, haven't see their doc. Here are some I have used, in concept. The full lines review doc was company sponsored, the auto/HO checklist we made as a Word doc.
1. specialized, like for homeowners, offered flood insurance, inland marine, etc. Auto, coverage checklist, show coverages offered, + what they chose, have them initial for ones they declined or bought at lower limits. Med pay, rental reimbursement. (I really encouraged that one, always quoted--they always ask if they bought that when there is an accident--hated to say no)
2. Needs analysis checklist for all coverages you offer, life, homeowners, auto, umbrella, recreational vehicles, boat, commercial, etc. Also good for annual review.

I am going to follow up on this for myself, they are great sales tools.

Last edited:
Not in P & C but in Medicare Advantage. I explain the Scope of Appointment document to "protect people like you from people like me". Then at the end of the appointment, I explained the checklist to "protect people like me from people like you" and make a joke how neither of us could remember what we had for lunch 2 days ago.

Back