Chemo and Excess Charges

$31,000 in excess charges??? Even in the 80's, prior to the "limiting charge" law, it was not possible to hit $31k. Just a scare tactic to use on seniors. 8 states prohibit balance billing for excess charges.

Last edited:
Large excess charges are fiction. So no.

I thought somarco provided an example awhile back of a legitimate instance where significant excess charges existed- maybe something about a GA resident wanting to cross the state line into FL and go to a Mayo clinic?

LD, I believe the example you reference did involve Mayo but not specifically xs charges.

This was a client with a Medigap plan F and had been in hospice for over a year. His wife took him off Medigap and enrolled him in an MA plan . . . to save money. I don't recall the number of claims or dollar amount but it was significant.

Changing him to MA would save monthly premium $$ but increase their OOP. The F plan he had did cover xs charges by Mayo but in this case, xs was not the issue.

I had no idea that his approach was misleading.

No one blames you, but this does point out the difference in advice offered by someone who is experienced in this market vs a novice. And that is not being critical of you in any way.

I was not going to post the link until Todd made the request. This was not done to shame anyone but add some clarity.

Someone in this agent's upline should have a conversation with him.

We all make mistakes from time to time. Some people feel it is OK to embellish to make a sale even though the facts should be adequate.

I was trained by bankers/GASB managers and was definitely taught this way. It’s horrible but it was all I knew for the first year.

Back