Christian Health Ministries

I am mostly a FE agent. But I am looking at alternatives to BC/BS. I ran across CHM through a friend of mine. Can any of the experts out there give me any thoughts?

It isn't insurance. Many providers will require cash up front for expensive elective procedures. There is no one to guarantee payment. It isn't regulated by the DOI. There are no mandatory financial reserves. Other, similar plans have gone under and come under fire from state AG's.

Need more?

I had a health insurance client who cancelled his $300 per month major medical in 2006 after he signed up for CHM. Several months later, Robert had a knee operation. CHM paid $4,000 of his $12,600 medical bills. The doctor/hosptial wouldn't give him a discount. He wasn't happy about their low reimbursement, but felt it was a fair trade-off considering that his CHM "monthly contribution" (premium) was only $90 per month for the coverage.

If he gets cancer, has a heart-attack, or some other really expensive care, he will be bankrupted with only a 30% reimbursement. It was frustrating that I couldn't make Robert understand this, but illogical people are just part of our business I suppose.
-ac

It isn't insurance. Many providers will require cash up front for expensive elective procedures. There is no one to guarantee payment. It isn't regulated by the DOI. There are no mandatory financial reserves. Other, similar plans have gone under and come under fire from state AG's.

Need more?

One of these operations just got kicked out of operating in Kentucky.

Christian insurance participants losing coverage - CBS News

Can't speak for CHM, but many (most?) of these plans do not have a PPO network nor reinsurance.

Several years ago when I worked for a stop loss carrier one of our clients was Good Samaritan. They had both a network and specific stop loss for claims xs of $50k.

Even still they had the same issues as addressed above. Many providers won't accept it as guaranteed payment.

March 3, 2014

Christian health insurance plan memberships are growing fast due to lower premiums (compared to ObamaCare Metal plans) and also exempting the insured from having to pay the IRS penalty-tax.

Story: Christian alternative to ObamaCare growing fast as deadline nears | Fox News

-ac

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to re ask the original poster's question to see if any of you have changed your minds on the topic. Do you still feel the same way or different ? I'm hearing more people are starting to gravitate toward this as a more viable option. What do you all think ? Thanks guys!

MIM

OK, I will bite. And let me preface this by stating that we attend an Evangelical Christian Church.

Its crap. Total crap.

The companies are using the Evangelicals hatred for anything Obama to give them an option to get out of "Obamacare". And if there is a catastrophic event, they will not have coverage. But some of these people's hatred for Obama outweighs everything else. And if they hear "you won't have to have Obamacare" they will bite.

If you want to sell this as health insurance, be my guest. Not sure how you can you sleep at night or look yourself in the mirror, but have a great time when one of your clients has a catastrophic event and is turned away due to lack of insurance and cash.

No, its not a viable option to health insurance.

Back