Cigna Individual

TXINSURANCE

Guru
1000 Post Club
Katy, TX
Does anyone have any word on Cigna Individual being launched nationwide? I heard a rumor Texas was due to launch 7/1/08 , awaiting DOI approval? I have heard an aggressive nationwide launch is on the books?

Any word on...

-Plan types?
-Commissions?
-Underwriting?
-Waivers (where available)?

What is their "niche"?

Any information - strictly CIGNA Individual would be appreciated.

Thanks...

From the CA perspective, UGH! Abandoned the market here about 4 years ago (not left, not stopped sellling, but pulled up stakes and quit) dumping over 4,000 non-insurables onto the street.

I called them just before they did it and asked what provisions they had made for the 4,000 people who would be unable to get through underwriting with another carrier and who were not HIPAA-eligible, their answer, who cares.

So at least for me in CA, screw them and the cheap assed NY horse they rode in on.

PS - average time for CIGNA to issue Certificate of Prior Health Coverage for CA HIPAA enrollees, 69 days! Time allowed by Anthem to enroll in a HIPAA plan from last group coverage date....63 days. You do the math. This company BLOWS!

Last edited:
Wow Dave tell us how you really feel - lol...

Was CIGNA in IFP or only group in CA when this happened?

At that time they were writing both group and IFP in CA. I assume that IFP was not their major portion so they probably had little worry giving it up.

When Aetna left IFP they kept the actives active and just chose not to sell new. When Principal left, they sold the book to Blue Cross CA and everyone got coverage.

All three, at least initially, stayed in the CA group market. Eventually Principal sold that block of small group to Nippon Life.

From the CA perspective, UGH! Abandoned the market here about 4 years ago (not left, not stopped sellling, but pulled up stakes and quit) dumping over 4,000 non-insurables onto the street.

I called them just before they did it and asked what provisions they had made for the 4,000 people who would be unable to get through underwriting with another carrier and who were not HIPAA-eligible, their answer, who cares.

So at least for me in CA, screw them and the cheap assed NY horse they rode in on.

PS - average time for CIGNA to issue Certificate of Prior Health Coverage for CA HIPAA enrollees, 69 days! Time allowed by Anthem to enroll in a HIPAA plan from last group coverage date....63 days. You do the math. This company BLOWS!

I know that you despise them, but I have a couple of questions. Were their plans and prices competitive on individual? How did their CS compare to Aetna?

Just asking, I've heard bad things about them from clients who have been on their group plans, but occasionally, I have people that have had a positive experience and ask for an IM plan.

Thanks.

It's not that I despise them so much as I hate the way they did what they did. It could have been handled a lot better and with a bit more compassion.

I never wrote any IFP with them as they were already shutting down the market when I started in health insurance. Same with Aetna at that time.

The CA IFP market is a little chaotic and I am always a bit suspicious of non-domiciled carriers as the barriers to enter and exit the market for them are not as protective or restrictive as for the domestics.

I have heard mixed reviews on Cigna, some people have had good experiences, some bad.

It's not that I despise them so much as I hate the way they did what they did. It could have been handled a lot better and with a bit more compassion.

I never wrote any IFP with them as they were already shutting down the market when I started in health insurance. Same with Aetna at that time.

The CA IFP market is a little chaotic and I am always a bit suspicious of non-domiciled carriers as the barriers to enter and exit the market for them are not as protective or restrictive as for the domestics.

I have heard mixed reviews on Cigna, some people have had good experiences, some bad.

Thanks, I didn't really think that you despised them, just incorporating a little humor into the questions. When it comes to a business entity, it would be like saying that you despised a mannequin.

Back