Cigna on 2016 Marketplace Plans in Florida

SecureHealth1

Guru
100+ Post Club
Got this email today from Cigna..

Dear Valued Broker,

As you may be aware, Cigna will temporarily discontinue offering medical plans on the Florida public health insurance marketplace for 2016. We intend to offer a new portfolio of health plans on the exchange for 2017. We did not take this difficult decision lightly.

We have seen a significant increase in fraudulent and abusive practices by outpatient rehabilitation facilities targeting Florida health exchange plans that offer out-of-network benefits. These practices involve “fee forgiveness,” physician kickbacks, and excessive drug testing on customers, all of which results in spending that is significantly higher than it was in other years and in other states. The magnitude of the problem did not become apparent until after the CMS deadline for filing 2016 plans. As a result, Cigna could not make the necessary changes to our plans to remain on exchange in 2016.

We understand that this action will cause significant disruption for you and your customers, and we will assist you and your customers through this transition. We are fully committed to the Florida market and look forward to reentering the public health insurance marketplace in 2017 with a new portfolio of health plans that will be designed to help individuals improve their health, well-being and sense of security by delivering access to cost-efficient, quality care.

Customer notification letters will be mailed starting this week. Copies of these letters will be posted to CignaforBrokers.com for your convenience. You will not receive a paper copy of the customer letters this year. Instead, you will receive a renewal summary, which includes your Cigna Individual and Family Plans 2015 book of business with customer-level plan information. The summary will be mailed to you this week.

There are a few scenarios that we would like you to be aware of regarding the plan discontinuation letters:

Off-Marketplace customers whose current medical plan is being discontinued will be courtesy enrolled into a suggested similar 2016 plan, if offered. It will be important for you, as their trusted broker, to review the suggested plan benefits and network change implications (if applicable) to ensure it is a good fit for your customer.
On-Marketplace customers whose current medical plan is being discontinued will need to take action, with your assistance, to enroll in a 2016 plan. Cigna will only be offering off-marketplace plans in 2016 which are not eligible for subsidies.
If you have any questions, please contact your Cigna Sales Representative or Broker Support at 877.Cigna.15.

Thank you. We wish you a successful Open Enrollment season.

Semi off topic, is going direct with Cigna the best way to get a contract? I called them 2 weeks ago, they took my info and said someone would be in touch with me. Haven't heard a word

You'll have to reach out to them constantly until you achieve your appointment.

The best way to go about this is to write a piece of Cigna business and then as for appointment. That's generally how they operate.

Best of luck.

They haven't appeared to want business in FL for a few years now. With the recent news it seems to only further the point.

Semi off topic, is going direct with Cigna the best way to get a contract? I called them 2 weeks ago, they took my info and said someone would be in touch with me. Haven't heard a word

Back