Cigna's Small Group Market Growing Pains

has anyone submitted small group medical business to Cigna? we've had some problems with our first case - 25 EE's. Calls to member services result in the client being told they aren't in the system as a group. one rep told them they all were issued individual policies. sales reps don't understand/can't explain maternity benefits.

it's been problematic to say the least, and apologies will only go so far before the client starts to wonder if this was a mistake. I realize there's a learning curve involved, but this has gotten somewhat ridiculous.

and don't get me started on Cigna's group #/case ID/quote # confusion.

We do a lot of business with Cigna's large group they are not even offering small group in my state. They bought a company called Great West and are supposed to be rebuilding their small group product line. So far I have seen nothing but horrible rates from them.

What state are you in?

Dang, and I am the last to know . . .

GW entered the GA market probably 20 years ago and made a big splash along with Confed and John Hancock. As I recall, they offered a package product from 10 - 49 lives which was (then) aggressively priced.

FWIW, their local rep was a total fox.

To be honest, I haven't seen or heard much from them in years. They had some very good individual life & DI products. Last I heard they were only writing stop loss and performing ASO services.

As for Cigna, they were always a large case carrier. Never wanted to fool with the small group or individual market. Now they seem to be making a push into both markets but not without problems.

Kind of makes you wonder why all these carriers are expanding their product lines if we are going to have Obama-care in the near future.

In Indiana
Cigna bought Great West and they bought the Sagamore Network. So they are making a push to be very competitive in this state.
I did business with Great West when i first got in the business. They had a partial self funded product that was very strong and then they just hammered all the renewals.
They had a great hook where you did not have to pay the first months premium until you left.
They were throwing out 30%+ rate increases like it was nothing. It was my first lesson of a carrier buying the business.

Cigna just rolled out in FL in December 08. I have not put any cases with them yet. I have quoted them, but they are not competitive in Florida and only offer about 6 group plans.

I do know a few agents who have put cases with them and are having some trouble getting things done. They are having growing pains and I personally wouldn't put a case with them for a year or 2. So they have time to get situated and prove themselves.

Back