Cincinnati Life - Group Life Question

Limozine

Super Genius
I'm new to this, so forgive me if I don't use the correct terminology.

I'm basically a new producer with an internet marketing background and I'm working with a computer-illiterate agent to build a business together by combining my web knowledge with his insurance background.

He left an agency sometime back because the agency was paying just 40% in commissions. At the time Cincinnati Life was his go-to product for employer worksite life insurance. His former agency is now blocking him from getting contracted with CL through anyone else in the region. The former agency does a sizeable amount of business with Cincinnati and so the regional sales manager for CL doesn't want to antagonize the agency by permitting my guy to write policies for them.

I'd like some advice on how to handle this. Should we look for another FMO that offers Cincinnati? Or is there a carrier that offers a comparable product? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Unless he signed a do not compete, I don't see any reason that he can't sign back up with CL to write business. And unless there is a valid legal reason, CL can't say no - just to please another ageency of theirs.

Pretty sure you can go direct with them. I'd be making a call directly to them...

Cincinnati Life is a funny company. They have their niche in certain areas, such as smokeless tobacco users and good rates on ROP term and GUL policies. I am not a huge fan of ROP, but a lot of people really like it. They give you the option of a paid up, non-par permanent plan instead of the cash that could be used instead of having to buy a final expense plan at retirement. If that was sold more to lower to middle class clients, it would eventually hurt the final expense crowd. The people who want it love it, and it takes care of their immediate income need and their future burial expense need. Most of their niches don't really align with the market that I am after, but I wrote a fair amount with them last year. After I got to know the rep, he told me later that there were questions whether or not they should give me a contract. They weren't sure if I would send them enough business. He seems happy with what I send in.

They are extremely old school. They seem to really like the P and C agents that sell life too. My understanding is that they do not just pass out contracts like a lot of the other companies. If you aren't going to produce a lot, I think they would rather you be a sub agent under another agency. I may be completely wrong with saying that, but I would look up the 1800 number and talk to someone at the home office about getting contracted directly. All they can tell you is no. If the guy you are partnering with really likes them and is planning on using them a lot, you may not have a problem getting a direct appointment. I would be careful what you tell them. I think they are one of the companies that frowns on internet lead generation. Hope this helps

Unless he signed a do not compete, I don't see any reason that he can't sign back up with CL to write business. And unless there is a valid legal reason, CL can't say no - just to please another ageency of theirs.

Pretty sure you can go direct with them. I'd be making a call directly to them...

I think you grossly underestimate how old school Cincinnati Life is. If the Regional is blocking the appointment, he isn't going to get one except from another Regional, and even then probably not. Also, they really, really love their P&C agencies. I'm pretty sure they can just say no and even if they can't, they'll find a reason. And if he fights it, he really won't be writing insurance with them as he'll be persona non grata

I once did life and health for a P&C agency. Very strange arrangement, put there and paid by another life agency. The P&C agency picked up Cinci and wanted me to write it to help their contract. The life agency already had Cinci for life and wanted me to write through them. Both had a different regional. Eventually the two regionals got together and decided I would be through the life agency, but the P&C agency would still get credit. Didn't matter either way, I barely wrote it as I was so unimpressed by their product and pricing.

Back