Claim Denied...Can Anything to Be Done?

geneg

Hello, bought a house in Central Florida and before moving decided to replace tiles in a kitchen. Hired licensed professionals.

They removed kitchen cabinets and found a lot of mold. Remodeling people had a licence for mold mitigation.

They removed mold: walls, cabinets etc. I filed a claim. An insurance adjuster came and made all the pictures to estimate all the damages.

Later got a call from the insurance adjuster, he told me that my claim was denied because I did not live in my house and the event that have caused the mold happened before my insurance policy became active.

Remodeling crew want me to pay they them close to $10 K for walls replacement and mold mitigation.

Is insurance company right? Can I do anything about it? :nah:

Thank you.

Insurance company is correct, the policy is for when the occurance occured, not when the claim is filed.

Think of it this way, if you bought a wrecked car, then put insurance on it, the insurance would not cover damage prior to you having insurance, much less prior to you owning the car.

The one thing you could try is getting the previous owner to file a claim against their policy, if they had mold coverage. Rules vary on this a lot but usually you need something else to occur to file a mold claim, renovation doesn't count.

Dan

Ya you're adjuster is correct.

And why on earth would you think it's OK to have work done before getting it approved? If that were the case I'd just buy up mold ridden homes at auction...get insurance to pay for it...and resell them

And why on earth would you think it's OK to have work done before getting it approved? If that were the case I'd just buy up mold ridden homes at auction...get insurance to pay for it...and resell them

Of course, after a handful of times you'd never be able to get insured in an admitted market again! lol

Covered or not covered by my policy, that black mold had to taken care of.
So now I am trying to figure out what it should cost to negotiate with my contractors "post factum":mad:

Back