Claim Question: Storage Fees on Total Loss

waiting

Hello, quick hisory: Accident occurred 6 weeks ago. One vehicle accident. Full Coverage.
After two weeks of not hearing back from the claims office I had the vehicle moved from the towing company to a friends property because I was considering a buy back plus storage fees were accumulating. This was all okayed with ins. co. a day prior to move. I paid $2000 out of pocket to tow co. for towing storage etc. all of which was reimbursed to me via check.
Estimator came 1 week later said car was totaled and said they would get back to me about settlement and buyback.
Ins. called yesterday and gave me settlement and buyback #'s. Settlement was in line with KBB but buyback was ridiculously high. Car couldn't even be parted for that much.
Anyway I told them buyback was no longer an option for me and they stated that they would arrange pickup of vehicle from my friends property but did not state when.
It's been sitting there a month and we were wondering if he or I can claim storage for that month?

You can claim whatever you like, what the insurance carrier decides to pay is another matter. If you don't like their offer and they can't/won't negotiate, you have legal recourse to hire an attorney and pursue it that way.

Storage fee for the car in your friend back yard. I would strike that thought the insurance company will not pay for that.

Just call them. They will come and pick up the car or tell you what piece of paper they are waiting for.

They won't pay storage fees, but if they have completed the transfer to their name, if they don't pick it up, have the car towed by an impound tow company. They will store the car and bill the insurance company, which they will pay.

Dan

Just call them. They will come and pick up the car or tell you what piece of paper they are waiting for.

They won't pay storage fees, but if they have completed the transfer to their name, if they don't pick it up, have the car towed by an impound tow company. They will store the car and bill the insurance company, which they will pay.

Dan

If they would have transfer the car to the insurance company name he would have to sign a transfer form and would have been asked to send over the keys..

Looking at this I think the car is still his and the company is just dragging there feet.:swoon::no::no:

Looking at this I think the car is still his and the company is just dragging there feet.:swoon::no::no:

Spot on. I still own the car. Called them several times. Still waiting for a call back. It's a joke that they will pay an impound yard or towing co. but they won't pay policy holder for the same storage.

btw this is State Farm in PA

Spot on. I still own the car. Called them several times. Still waiting for a call back. It's a joke that they will pay an impound yard or towing co. but they won't pay policy holder for the same storage.

btw this is State Farm in PA

Have your friend create an invoice for you that state he will charge you per day to leave the car there. And send that to your adjuster. I am surprise at this usally state farm has a good reputation in claim handling. :idea:

Actually, they will only pay an impound yard for a few days. After that, they would actually stick you with the bill. How many days? Depends, but even insurance companies have a limit on how much they will pay for storage.

They should put it in their yard though.

Dan

How many days?

Dan
it was moved 40 days ago. initial 2k was received pretty quick, but then the claim was moved to a different dept. after it was deemed a total loss and i told them i didn't want it.
it's the total loss dept. that dropped the ball.

Back