Claim Time with Farmers

VolAgent

Guru
5000 Post Club
So, had the joy of having an accident today with a woman who turned left in front of me and across my lane of traffic.

Fortunately no one was hurt, just some damage to both vehicle.

Cop wasn't even interested in statements, just wanted to know who was driving each car and which car was doing what. Told us it was pretty obvious. Also, she was ready and willing to admit her fault in the accident.

So, I called Farmers about getting a rental and getting my car fixed. Instead, I get all this jazz that an adjuster has to come out and also do a liability determination. Why have I never had to deal with this before? Usually it is just take the car to the shop, get your rental and pick the car up when fixed. And that is whether it is the other driver's insurance or my insurance paying.

I understand they don't to pay when their insured isn't at fault, but this definitely is different. I have to wait 2 business days without a car? Should I be prepared to fight this with Farmers or are they just more open about procedure while State Farm and Tennessee Farm Bureau took care of it without saying anything?

Stop and think for a second....
You call in a claim, say you need a rental car, the provide one, then find out that the person you claimed hit you wasn't even in the state that day. Now, I'm assuming you are telling the truth, but not everyone does. And yes, I've had this happen to one of my insureds.

Every carrier will do a fault determination prior to shelling out money, unless it is your own. Its the way it works, not at all specific to Farmers.

Start with the first question, is your car drivable? If so, you probably don't need a rental car till it goes in for repairs anyway. If not, and you need a rental car today, either pay out of pocket, or just guarantee the payment and the insurance company will take over once they do a fault determination.

If the person who hit you can be reached, fault determinations usually go quickly. Sometimes they try to run and hide, so it can take a few days (or a month). At some point, you win these by default, barring any evidence to the contrary, but usually, its just a quick call with both parties to understand what happened.

I actually appreciate the fact they want both sides of the story before paying out $$$$, helps keep the premiums down.

Dan

Oh, I understand they don't want to pay if it isn't there fault.

It was the way it was all said. They already had her calling in asking for a tow truck. Just very much an attitude of, "Well, we'll see if it is our fault.."

The second time I got hit by a Farm Bureau insured, there was a delay while they were trying to reach their insured, but their attitude was a complete 180. I just don't have a good feeling, plus the horror stories you read on here. Hopefully it is nothing, I know most claims get paid with no problems. You'd just like it to start out right.

I'd just go get a rental. But I really don't want to get into a fight that I didn't use the right rental company or get the right size vehicle. The driver's door really doesn't open or close, but the cop didn't seem that interested in calling a tow truck for me. Heck, he didn't want to call her one, and her bumper was ripped off and dragging on the road.

Also, Farm Bureau would just pay as soon as the insured admitted fault, no "liability investigation" that takes two days.

Hang on, first, you had the accident, today, Saturday, you only spoke with an order taker, the claims adjuster wont call you until probaly monday, the order taker cannot authorize you a rental car.

The adjuster will also probally want to do a recorded call with their insured before they authorize anything....

The weekend always causes an issue like this.

Last Saturday night, I got hit by a farmes person, and this is exactly what happened, I filed the claim, got a claim number, the adjuster called me Monday AFTER speaking with the insured first, and then gave me their acceptance of 100% at fault and authorized a car for me....

This is somewhat why having rental car coverage on your own policy is a good thing. That coverage doesn't require fault determination first.

Dan

This is somewhat why having rental car coverage on your own policy is a good thing. That coverage doesn't require fault determination first.

Dan

Yeah, this is an older vehicle, so I just carry liability on it. If I had comp and collision, I'd definitely have rental car as well.

And thanks RBA. As I said, this is a departure from my previous experiences with insurance companies. I wasn't sure if it is Farmers being different than them, or more difficult to deal with.

Yeah, this is an older vehicle, so I just carry liability on it. If I had comp and collision, I'd definitely have rental car as well.

And thanks RBA. As I said, this is a departure from my previous experiences with insurance companies. I wasn't sure if it is Farmers being different than them, or more difficult to deal with.

Really, just the weekend makes it take longer and they will need to speak with their unsured, and who knows how long that will take. Like I said, my case, he spoke with them on Monday, the adjuster called me Monday morning, she was ready to meet on Tuesday, but I couldnt and we met on Wed, now I will say, they claimed 100% at fault and did anything I want to fix the car, but the injury portion has been a total joke.

Back