Clarification On The Special Election Period, Please

bigeats

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have a prospect, 72, whose husband is still working and has her on his employers group health policy. She would like to go on Medicare with a Med Supp to save some money, as their policy is costing ~$400 a month for her to be on it... but her husband is not planning on retiring any time soon.

The kicker is that she has some ticker issues, and she won't clear underwriting.

I have read that she would be GI if she was "losing" her employer-paid health coverage... but I didn't get the feeling that would include voluntary termination of her coverage as a spouse of an employee who would keep his coverage.

Any of you salty dogs want to chime in?

As always, I appreciate your time and input.

She qualifies for SEP. DS4, what the heck is a LEP and can you let CMS know of it's existence.

She is GI for a supp from any carrier.

Last edited:
So simply by leaving her husband's coverage, she becomes GI? Does she have to have some sort of documentation showing that her coverage is going to cease?

I certainly wouldn't want her to stop her existing coverage before she is accepted for a Med Supp...

Here's another one wanting his hand held as we walk him down the path of closing a deal.

Time for you to do some reading, talking to underwriting of the carrier you will be placing them with, etc.

Hand holding? No.

I have done some reading... which is why I started this thread. What I have read does not seem to address this adequately... and someone who has done these for years will have run across this situation in all likelihood.

There is both a lot of good information in discussion forums and a lot of "confusing" information.

The final word is going to come from the companies underwriters. Rules and regs can vary from state to state.

If I have a question that I'm uncertain of that is going to effect my ability to make money I'm sure not going to take the word of some guy who's user name is "Big Dick", I'm going to call the underwriting department with the company I intend to write the policy for. I have all of their numbers programmed in my phone.

It's a two minute phone call to underwriting. Asking questions on her can go on for days and still not have the correct information for a specific situation.

Hand holding? No.

I have done some reading... which is why I started this thread. What I have read does not seem to address this adequately... and someone who has done these for years will have run across this situation in all likelihood.

The Medicare publications targeting the very person you are trying to help spell out this exact senario in plan engrish. Ya know... the person looking to you as an expert.

We're flattered that you think some in here know it all, but if you are directing this client as a professional the last thing I want my agent to do is get guidance from a internet forum. I want him to KNOW it from the AUTHORITY in this matter... CMS. READ MAN... READ!!!

I found this information AGAIN within two minutes. Google is your friend.

Involuntary loss of employer coverage is very clear. But I don't think voluntary loss of coverage (i.e. they left the plan because they just don't feel like paying the rates) is either clear or easy to find in CMS pubs.

How about a hint?

Back