Client Has Two Med Supps

jlallgier

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Ran into a client that has two Med Supps. I did not write either one. Her family is seeking advice. She is in her 80s and in a nursing home. Thought the original one was canceled 3 years ago. About 6K worth of excess premiums. Has anyone ran into this situation? Will she be able to get a refund from the Med Supp Company that should of been canceled? The new company has been playing claims the last couple of years. Going to call both companies with the clients and family to help out but wanted a head ups of what I am getting into.

Ran into a client that has two Med Supps. I did not write either one. Her family is seeking advice. She is in her 80s and in a nursing home. Thought the original one was canceled 3 years ago. About 6K worth of excess premiums. Has anyone ran into this situation? Will she be able to get a refund from the Med Supp Company that should of been canceled? The new company has been playing claims the last couple of years. Going to call both companies with the clients and family to help out but wanted a head ups of what I am getting into.

As long as no claims have been paid by the prior company she may be able to get some or all of the premiums refunded. I ran into this once. The Med Supp that was older was the AARP branded Med Supp. They were a hassle to deal with on getting the refund (two years worth of premiums). The client finally gave up on it and wrote it off as a loss. I offered to assist, but he just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

Forget calling the new company currently paying claims. Call the old company. Explain the situation.
I had the same exact situation come up last summer. The old company could see no claims crossed over form Medicare, and, I provided a copy of the approval letter from the new company. The old company cancelled retro 12 months.

So with crossover the new company always gets sent the claims if they have 2 supps? Or is that just how it happened to work in these cases?

I've come across plenty of people who have ended up being put into an MA without their knowledge or without understanding what it was who continued to pay supp premiums. But the only person with 2 supps that I can recall was a guy who had 2 and didn't want to cancel either one, thinking that somehow he was better off with both! (I didn't talk to him, this was a friend trying to help him out.)

As long as no claims have been paid by the prior company she may be able to get some or all of the premiums refunded. I ran into this once. The Med Supp that was older was the AARP branded Med Supp. They were a hassle to deal with on getting the refund (two years worth of premiums). The client finally gave up on it and wrote it off as a loss. I offered to assist, but he just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

Hold on. I thought aarp was all about helping seniors. :-)

I have seen this before as well. Most want proof of other coverage and usually refund. How this happens always puzzles me, especially when both are carried for years.

Back