Client Loyal to Old Agent

GreenSky

Guru
5000 Post Club
Henderson, NV
I had (past tense) a prospect who was paying way too much for insurance. I quoted she and her husband Plan F with another carrier and could save them about $1,000. This is in Oregon and with the birthday rule we don't need to worry about future rate increases.

She told me she liked her current agent but if I could save them money she'd be interested. Because of the trust issue I sent a letter with copies of pages from the Medicare books along with a copy of my license.

After I called her and left a message, she returned the favor to let me know she was staying with her current agent who found a lower priced plan, albeit not a low as the one I quoted.

A normal person would let this slide but rather than calling her and reminding her that the current agent was happy to rip them off for years, I just sent this letter. It won't do any good, but I feel better.

I wanted to let you know how much I respect your loyalty to the agent who went all these years knowing that you and your husband were overpaying for your insurance without correcting this problem.

And how great it is that after YOU mentioned that I can provide a much lower option you still allowed him to then help you with other policies at a higher price than why I quoted.

So just why are you loyal this agent? He's allowed you to pay a higher price by far than you needed for years. I can only guess his reason is because the higher the price, the more commission is paid to the agent.

The reason for this letter is not give you new information that this agent really is not working in your interest. Clearly you must know that already.

Rick

I had (past tense) a prospect who was paying way too much for insurance. I quoted she and her husband Plan F with another carrier and could save them about $1,000. This is in Oregon and with the birthday rule we don't need to worry about future rate increases. She told me she liked her current agent but if I could save them money she'd be interested. Because of the trust issue I sent a letter with copies of pages from the Medicare books along with a copy of my license. After I called her and left a message, she returned the favor to let me know she was staying with her current agent who found a lower priced plan, albeit not a low as the one I quoted. A normal person would let this slide but rather than calling her and reminding her that the current agent was happy to rip them off for years, I just sent this letter. It won't do any good, but I feel better. I wanted to let you know how much I respect your loyalty to the agent who went all these years knowing that you and your husband were overpaying for your insurance without correcting this problem. And how great it is that after YOU mentioned that I can provide a much lower option you still allowed him to then help you with other policies at a higher price than why I quoted. So just why are you loyal this agent? He's allowed you to pay a higher price by far than you needed for years. I can only guess his reason is because the higher the price, the more commission is paid to the agent. The reason for this letter is not give you new information that this agent really is not working in your interest. Clearly you must know that already. Rick

There probably is more to the story. Agent is friend of family. Or the agent also has their auto and home owners ins. Like farmers country companies etc.
in my experience most clients would take the lower price without a second thought.
This goes to prove we have to be something more than a policy peddler by doing whatever possible to connect with our clients on a regular basis.
I know this is not a new idea to you Rick. But it still is vital to our long term success

Maybe he stays in contact and they have a personal bond. For some people price isn't the only consideration.

I used to let this type of thing get to me. I once asked a prospect point blank what part of them taking good care of you was it the fact they have not reviewed your account in four years other than to say stay put or the fact that you are down 15,000?

Nice letter.

She probably will still think she has a good agent.

I changed it slightly due to grammar issues and will be mailed.

She's a very nice lady but still thinks the agent that has been screwing them for years is a good guy. Not worth arguing because I can't win.

But I wanted her to know this guy is not their friend.

I only posted this because those of us who have been in the business for any time will relate.

Rick

She told me she liked her current agent but if I could save them money she'd be interested.

Not doing much with medicare myself,

I wonder if it would be worth asking them up front when they say they like their current agent if they would make the switch in agents if you can save them $1,000 a year ?

As well as pro actively keeping them with the best value in medicare plan for their premiums, as it appears their agent is not currently doing this.

Not sure if that would make any difference.

Many probably shopped to see if they were getting the best deal.

Then they tell the current guy what they found and he then offers to do the same thing. They stay as it is easy.

Also: Thanks for helping me with that case!

Last edited:
Back