Client randomly losing Part B

kstein

Guru
1000 Post Club
Anyone ever have a client in their late 80s get dropped from Part B? Any idea how to check the term date of Part B? Client is incapacitated and in a facility so no way she proactively went to SS to drop it.

Son has her Medicare/as statements from the last few years and it shows her Part B premiums were $540/yr...I'm kinda baffled

Some MA companies like UHC will give you that info for prospects when verifying eligibility.Of course you need prospects permission.

Did she have an MAPD that had a Part B "buy-back" plan, where they paid part of her Part B monthly premium?

Now that she's in a facility, is she receiving LIS, maybe on an ISNP? Or maybe she paid her Part B premiums by check and stopped paying when she became incapacitated and got behind?

Just tossing some ideas out there.

I have a case now where the prospect has been on SS disability with full medicaid since 1990 but her medicare was dropped in 1994 for unknown reasons.She turned turned 65 June 2019 and I was wondering how to get her medicare back? I assume she still has to wait for the General Enrollment Period from 1/1/20-3/31/20 for a 7/1/20 start date ? I know her part a and b premiums and penalties will be paid by her medicare savings program since she is QMB but I do not find anything on the medicare website that says she could enroll in part B because she was just turning 65.Any clues on this out there?

I have a case now where the prospect has been on SS disability with full medicaid since 1990 but her medicare was dropped in 1994 for unknown reasons.She turned turned 65 June 2019 and I was wondering how to get her medicare back? I assume she still has to wait for the General Enrollment Period from 1/1/20-3/31/20 for a 7/1/20 start date ? I know her part a and b premiums and penalties will be paid by her medicare savings program since she is QMB but I do not find anything on the medicare website that says she could enroll in part B because she was just turning 65.Any clues on this out there?

If she turned 65 in June, she still has time to apply (3 mo. before, mo of, 3 mo. after) why would she need to wait until general enrollment.

Ya, it is pretty weird. They are high income, paying out of pocket for ltc and they have a ltc policy paying as well.

The client's husband was a Lutheran Pastor and they were insured through Portico (?) which apparently switched to a different carrier 1/1/19. At that time, she was dropped for not having Part B.

I thought about the buy back option but that doesn't seem to be the case and the LIS, etc didn't mesh do to their income and private paying at the facility. The son just emailed me the SS statements over the last few years and they were $45/mo...

The son also said he closed the joint account in 2017 that her SS checks were deposited into which resulted in a log jam of SS checks being returned to sender (?) and then when they figured that her checks were missing they received a lump sum of 10 or so months. I don't think that would have anything to do with the reduced amounts in 2015, 2016, etc and since the Part B is drafted prior to depositing I feel like that wouldn't matter either.

If she turned 65 in June, she still has time to apply (3 mo. before, mo of, 3 mo. after) why would she need to wait until general enrollment.

This isn't her initial enrollment period in to part B since it was previously dropped.At least thats my thinking on it and I can't find anything on medicare.gov that addresses this.

Back