Client Referrals

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I know there are numerous threads about referrals but figured what the heck, go for it.

An agent I know that has been in the Medigap business for a few years and has (just a wag) 300+ clients. All phone sales. Some secured by DM, others TM plus a scattering from a web presence. He says he get's maybe 10 sales a year from referrals. Wanted to know what I do to get referrals. I usually get 30 - 40 sales a year from referrals. Maybe more. I don't really track it like I should.

The only thing he does not do is contact clients every year to review their PDP options. I wrote around 15 apps last AEP, referrals triggered by the PDP review and several more since the first of the year, also tied to PDP referrals.

I also track Medigap renewal increases and reach out to clients getting what I consider to be significant (over 8%) rate increases. That results in quite a few rewrites plus a few referrals.

Oh, and I never overtly ask for referrals. Also very little cross-selling.

What do you do?

I send welcome letter handwritten with buis cards after enrollment then I do send out cards 1st one just checking in do you need anything type

The rest of the cards I don't know the order (as my wife handles that) but I think 2 ask for referrals but not an in your face kind of way

Also, they get bday cards and they are on my my email newsletter

If they call with a problem and they are thanking me I politely say don't forget to pass my contact info out

I try to do good customer service and return call quickly as possible, I tell all my support clients to send me any bills they believe they should not receive, You would be amazed how many are overcharged by hosp and doc's I can fix easily on most

I am not sure which things provide the most in regards to referrals but I am sure it all plays a part

My referrals come mainly from Managers/Coordinators at Seniors complexes and unsolicited from existing clients.

My Buddy loves to MAIL stuff to clients--he sends Bday cards and one other during the year----he always says in it I LOVE REFERRALS and it seems to work.

I usually get 30 - 40 sales a year from referrals. Maybe more. I don't really track it like I should.

I use the "One Card" automated CMR... they allow you to track not only the number of referrals but allow to see your success.

I will be following this thread and taking notes... thanks for posting.

I'm cute? ;)

1. Networking events. I spoke to 90 seniors last night at the local First Baptist. There were probably 5 potential clients in there, but its 3 hours, using a presentation that's already done. There is no way I won't get 10 clients this year from it. I have 2 more scheduled this month. (But they will only have 20 or so people). And I usually get invited to speak at more groups after the one like last night.
2. I ask for referrals. From the nice people. "Don't forget to tell your friends!"
3. I send thank you cards for new business.
4. I send thank you cards for client referrals. Financial Planners get an email.
5. Yes, I do Part D reviews. And I am convinced that's why my retention rate is at 98%. Everyone talks to me at least once a year and that is discussed at the initial meeting.
6. I send 4th of July cards. There's a flurry of activity after that.
7. I don't do birthday cards, but should probably start.
8. I host a breakfast in the fall for Financial Planners. "State of Health Insurance". Which is translated into "I'm brilliant and you should send me people".
9. My follow up system is solid. I use my CRM to keep track. And when someone calls and says "I am going to keep working, do I have to do anything?" (which happens about 3 times a week), I ask when they are going to retire and can I follow up with them at that point. Or add them to my AEP list. They always say yes. And I always get the sale. It may take years, but I get it. Or when I advise them to do COBRA. I give them the timeline and when I will follow-up for Medicare. Telling people the right answer, even though you don't make any money, is the right thing to do. Always. The money will come.

Also, last year my "assistant/daughter" didn't do a good job with TY cards in the Spring. And my referral numbers crashed. Send TY cards are critical piece to the puzzle.

I use the "One Card" automated CMR... they allow you to track not only the number of referrals but allow to see your success.

I will be following this thread and taking notes... thanks for posting.

I'm a huge fan of One Card and its the base of my agency. If any of you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it.

I've pretty much been doing what Vic120 does, except now I need to add thank you cards for new clients. Already do thank you cards for referrals. Love hearing about One Card. Going to look into that, because I'm still old school and track using spread sheets.

Our office also consults with and teaches the Part D plans to the local councils on aging (they do them to get extra funding) and in return they send us MAPD and Med Supp clients.

Great post! Thank you for all of the ideas.

Latest posts

Back