Client says Mutual of Omaha med supp "too high" !

aufan

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Ok guys..i've just recently got all my ducks in a row to get into the senior market. A few good med supp companies, one part c plan and a few part D plans to offer.

My VERY FIRST LEAD is a man and woman 70 and 69 respectively both with Mutual Of Omaha plans and no drug coverage. He is type 2 diabetic but otherwise in good health.

She says they rarely go to the doctor and is asking if something is cheaper and they also need drug coverage.

After seeing all the negative press here in MS about the part C plans being "slammed" onto seniors, i'm actually holding back on even offering the part C.

Any advice?

You might want to go to Medicare's website and look at the MA plans in your area. You can do side by side comparisons to see what the plans copayments are. You'll want to pay particular attention to the hospital copayments and the outpatient surgery copayments. I've researched the plans that are available in my area that way.

What Plans are they on with Mutual? If they're on F, you may be able to downgrade them to a D or maybe an H. Since they don't go to the Dr. much they probably won't sweat having to pay the Part B deductible. Then add a stand alone Part D plan.

OR you could take a good MA plan and couple it with a nice Hospital Indemnity plan. Rates will likely less than a med supp and with the HI plan, when they do go to the Dr. they'll get some cash to help pay the Dr's bills and copays, etc. Plus the MA will likely have drug coverage included.

All good suggestions. Thanks.

Am I correct in assuming that the Part C plans can still be written? Didn't they expand the enrollment coverage this year?

Also, since they have not been on part D, do I have to wait till 11/15/07?

All good suggestions. Thanks.

Am I correct in assuming that the Part C plans can still be written? Didn't they expand the enrollment coverage this year?

Also, since they have not been on part D, do I have to wait till 11/15/07?

That depends on whether what you are offering is MA Only (PFFS) or if it is a MAPD. If it is MAPD they will have to wait.

if they have a med supp you can write them in a MA plan now or a different med supp...but you can not touch the part D until Nov 15

Like 07 said, the MA plans need to be evaluated for the area they are going to be used. Here is St. Louis, they have nearly 100% acceptance, but 75 miles west, they see very little advertised support.
That being said, most of the time, once a provider actually understands the offer, they will accept the MA, often the MA will pay the provider better than Medicare.

YOu could write them a MA policy and if they dont like it you can then write them another med supp with a cheaper company within 12 months of being on the MA. It is gaurantee issue if you do it that way.

YOu could write them a MA policy and if they dont like it you can then write them another med supp with a cheaper company within 12 months of being on the MA. It is gaurantee issue if you do it that way.

I have heard a couple people say this but I dont know if you can do that. My understanding is that if they did this they would have to go back to their original med supp with the original carrier. Otherwise you would have people piggy backing MA plans just to get into a cheaper med supp and avoiding med supp underwriting...not fair to the med supp carriers.

Back