Client with 2 med supps

HeadCase

Expert
I have a client that I wrote life insurance on 3 years ago that I met with today who has 2 med supps. Right before her 65th birthday in March 2016 she bought a CSI plan-N then in November 2016 she got a Colonial Penn plan-N through a Bankers agent. I looked at both policies and they are N plans and she is the insured for sure. I also reviewed her bank statements and she is currently paying premiums on both plans. What in the world should this lady do about this as I have never ran into anyone with multiple med supps? Any help is appreciated. By the way she is paying $84 on the CSI and $118 on the Colonial.

The only thing you can do is have her ask one of them (preferably Colonial since its the highest priced) to refund her. The one you'll have to ask is the one that hasn't paid any claims. At the very least she will have to prove that she's been paying for two of them.

Just explain that she had no idea she was paying for 2 of them. I wish her the best.

Medicare Crossover will only work on 1 med supp. As far as a refund on the med supp that isn't paying, forget it. You can ask, but I doubt you will receive.

Because Medicare crossover will only work with one med supp at a time (as noted by DS4 above), one of them--almost certainly the first one--has not paid any claims because it was replaced by Medicare in the crossover. The beneficiary should be due a refund from that first carrier. I have seen clients get refunds in cases like this, though one carrier would only refund up to one year. No guarantee the carrier will cooperate. I did get help one client get over $4K refunded by a med supp carrier, but in that case the med supp had been replaced by an MA plan.

Because Medicare crossover will only work with one med supp at a time (as noted by DS4 above), one of them--almost certainly the first one--has not paid any claims because it was replaced by Medicare in the crossover. The beneficiary should be due a refund from that first carrier. I have seen clients get refunds in cases like this, though one carrier would only refund up to one year. No guarantee the carrier will cooperate. I did get help one client get over $4K refunded by a med supp carrier, but in that case the med supp had been replaced by an MA plan.

I've seen them go back as much as a year as well, but no more. Either way, evidently they don't have to do it, so it may not even happen.

I have a client that I wrote life insurance on 3 years ago that I met with today who has 2 med supps. Right before her 65th birthday in March 2016 she bought a CSI plan-N then in November 2016 she got a Colonial Penn plan-N through a Bankers agent. I looked at both policies and they are N plans and she is the insured for sure. I also reviewed her bank statements and she is currently paying premiums on both plans. What in the world should this lady do about this as I have never ran into anyone with multiple med supps? Any help is appreciated. By the way she is paying $84 on the CSI and $118 on the Colonial.

I like to cut in run when I run into people like this. She's probably lying about something. What is the clients favorite way to lie to us? Withholding key information! Its called lying by omission. In their minds they did not actually lie to us they just didn't tell us something. This deal could get sticky involving insurance departments and everything else. I don't need any heat. I think she will get a refund pretty easy. The insurance companies feel the same way about these incidents that I do in that they don't need any trouble.

Back