Clients Already Getting Letters from Coventry Re: Plan Cancellations

cadylou

Guru
100+ Post Club
They just sent letters out here in MO, and their Bronze HSA offering is discontinued and being replaced by something "similar" at a higher price. The issue here is that the Bronze HSA that they would migrate the person to, utilizes and EPO network - not a PPO network. So, there is NO out of network coverage at all. One of my clients called to ask if they were out of town and had an emergency (like a car wreck), would anything be covered? She was told no - they told her if you want out of network coverage you will have to purchase a silver plan or above.

Really? This is what we have now? Consistently narrower networks at huge price increases with no "skinnier" alternatives for people to obtain catastrophic hospitalization?

My rate personally increased $80/mo for this plan. . . .I have families enduring monthly rate increases of over $100/mo for a bare bones HSA Bronze level plan.

So, now some of my clients are actually contemplating going uninsured. These are people who do not qualify for subsidies, but last year had their rates double with cancellation of the old style plans, and now getting rate increases that are in the 20% range depending on their age.

Can't wait till November . . . .:skeptical:

There are millions of those letters going out across the country from many health insurers, Cadylou. A 90 day advance notice of plan cancellation is required by most states.

Sadly, HHS has still not approved many rate increases requested by many companies. So, they had to send out a bare bones letter saying.. "On December 31st, your plan will be canceled. In the coming WEEKS we'll let you know what else is available from us....if anything." That's what Blue Cross sent to virtually every Individual Health Plan customer in Illinois this week.

You're right. It's horrendous what ObamaCare is doing to the individual health insurance industry. But due to fear of losing govt contracts and/or approvals for other lines of business, or the hope of earning lots of $$$, most of the insurers chose to go along with what HHS demands.

Back