Clients do not seem to be all there

rawlan

Expert
Hello all,

I have a dilemma, I know how I want to handle this issue on multiple cases. I have a few people both current and potential clients that seem to be out of it, I do not know if it is Dementia or Alzheimer's or if it is just a bad day . I am not being funny, I am concerned. Has anyone run into this issue? I want the business of course, but I want to make sure they know exactly what they are getting and do not want anyone feeling they were taken advantage of or misled. How do I ask to speak to a family member to make sure they have their facilities intact without insulting them, or do I just walk away? What say you.

Thanks.

I have asked these questions, I do that with everyone regardless. It shows transparency and builds credibility with the client. Very few take me up on the offer, but I ask that question with all. The clients I am talking about have all said no.

"You know Betty I work with my parents when they need to make important decision like this... who do you trust to help out when you make these types of decisions?"

Always remember there are those who don't want their family involved in anything... be careful not to lead to much when you first ask so you get a clearer picture of their family situation.

I have asked family members who were present when I arrived for an appointment to stay so they would know something about the coverage and they invariably have to leave for a subsequent engagement.
“I don’t know nuthin’ bout no INsurance, Miss Scarlett!”

We all want to make sales. That is what we do. If we are in this business for any length of time we run into people that you feel are to easily lead or is not really understanding. Probably a lapse waiting to happen because the next insurance guy will show up tomorrow.

As the other guys have said ask for someone else to contact. Write it or walk away to the next prospect. I have walked ways on some I hated doing it and I have written some I wish later I hadn't.

Hello all,

I have a dilemma, I know how I want to handle this issue on multiple cases. I have a few people both current and potential clients that seem to be out of it, I do not know if it is Dementia or Alzheimer's or if it is just a bad day . I am not being funny, I am concerned. Has anyone run into this issue? I want the business of course, but I want to make sure they know exactly what they are getting and do not want anyone feeling they were taken advantage of or misled. How do I ask to speak to a family member to make sure they have their facilities intact without insulting them, or do I just walk away? What say you.

Thanks.

Unless someone is there in the house at the time of the appointment, I'd just walk away.

How to ask? I'm going to assume that you're doing a medicare supplement sale of some kind: "In the event of emergencies, it's often helpful for family members to understand the coverage you have. Is there someone here who would need to contact the insurance company in the event of an emergency? Could we include them in our conversation?"

But if you're trying to do anything more complicated for "planning" or whatever... and they aren't coherent enough... they are already disqualified in my book - for annuities, LTC, life insurance, etc.

However, I'm also in California and would prefer to avoid the negative publicity.
Ongoing coverage of the Glenn Neasham trial

I'd tell them that it's a good idea for their kids to know how their insurance works, so that if they get really ill the kids will know how to help them with it, so I'd like to include your kids(or a close friend that helps them)in the process. If they won't do that and I feel they've got Dementia or not all there, I'll walk.

I wouldn't want somebody selling my mom something without one of her kids being there. She's getting Dementia. I've already cancelled a couple of things she bought.

Back