Clients Sister Knows Best

RayGroupInsurance

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Utah
I just got off the phone with an 8 year customer. She called in and the conversation went something like this:

Me: "Thanks for calling....."

Her: "Hey this is xxxxxxxxx, I need to bump up my coverage to $250/$500"

Me: "Great I can do that for you right now, what made you think about this?" (I was thinking to myself great she just had an accident and wants to raise her limits)

Her: "My sister from TX just called and told me I need to have those limits, is she right?"

Me: "blah blah liability blah blah assets blah blah protection"

Her: "I'd also like to get an umbrella policy"

Me: "(after regaining consciencouness) I will work up a quote and call you right back"

I just posted this long comment because I am excited and frustrated at the same time. How do we create that kind of trust with our clients? How do we portray ourselves as experts so they will listen to us and accept our advice as easily and readily as they do the advice of their sister or brother who works at McDonalds?

What do you do in your agency to build loyalty and earn the trust of your clients?

I just posted this long comment because I am excited and frustrated at the same time. How do we create that kind of trust with our clients? How do we portray ourselves as experts so they will listen to us and accept our advice as easily and readily as they do the advice of their sister or brother who works at McDonalds?

What do you do in your agency to build loyalty and earn the trust of your clients?

Well when you sold the policy did you ask the insured what was most important about their insurance protection? Did you ask them what assets (what stuff) they would like to protect? Did you also if they would like maximum protection or if they would rather accept more risk to save a little bit of premium?

Or did you just ask do you want liability coverage or do you need full coverage? Followed up with a what coverage do you now carry on your car insurance?

I purchased an existing agency so I didn't make the initial sale. They had $100/$300 already which is what I recommend to most clients unless they need more. I just love when I get a referral and the client is ready to buy without any effort on my part.

So rather than bash me lets share some ideas of processes people use to build that relationship. Some things I do are:

- bday cards
- holiday cards (Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July)
- Pre-renewal thank you call

And I'm starting to do my annual reviews. What do you do in your agency that could help me?

Your really don't sell insurance. You really sell yourself. Tell her sister to go get an insurance lic. Just let your client know that you have their best interest in mind and that you care about them. You are more then just an agent, you can be a friend also. You will find the best deal for them. You have to earn trust.

I think I'm a doctor sometimes, but I am now. I am always giving my family members medical advise. I can tell them that the doctor is wrong and that I'm right. But if something goes wrongs, who do you think they are going to call. Of course the doctor not me.

The sister can always give her advise, but you are still the one with the Lic.

Your really don't sell insurance. You really sell yourself. Tell her sister to go get an insurance lic. Just let your client know that you have their best interest in mind and that you care about them. You are more then just an agent, you can be a friend also. You will find the best deal for them. You have to earn trust.

I think I'm a doctor sometimes, but I am now. I am always giving my family members medical advise. I can tell them that the doctor is wrong and that I'm right. But if something goes wrongs, who do you think they are going to call. Of course the doctor not me.

The sister can always give her advise, but you are still the one with the Lic.

I don't think I was very clear before. I'm glad that her sister spoke to her because I just got a new policy out of it and she is better protected. I'm just wondering how you go about building that relationship and become their friend and trusted advisor.

I purchased an existing agency so I didn't make the initial sale. They had $100/$300 already which is what I recommend to most clients unless they need more. I just love when I get a referral and the client is ready to buy without any effort on my part.

So rather than bash me lets share some ideas of processes people use to build that relationship. Some things I do are:

- bday cards
- holiday cards (Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July)
- Pre-renewal thank you call

And I'm starting to do my annual reviews. What do you do in your agency that could help me?

I wasn't trying to bash you. I was trying to help you.

If you recomend 100/300 to most people you are doing them and yourself a disservice.

Wait until you get that first CC letter from an insurance company to your insured telling them they better hire their own attorney and not talk about this case to anyone but the insurance company or their own attorney because they are going to run out of liability limits before the case is settled. They are scary letter. By the grace of God I guess none of my insured's have ever received one. But I've seen the letter from fellow agents.

Anyone can copy what some other agent did and try to do it cheaper. You don't want to be that agent. You are literally protecting your insureds financial future with your products. You want to do well by doing good for your insureds.

$100,000 in a minor accident can go quickly. In a serious accident it is gone before the injured party gets out of the intensive care unit.

Remember the words "maximum protection". Start by offering all your insured's the maximum protection your insurance company offers on a car insurance policy. Then tell them you can even supplement that with another million or two of liability insurance for just a few more dollars a month.

If you have people with low deductibles ask them flat out what can you afford to pay if you have an accident?

On my soap box: Nobody in this day and age should have less than $1000 deductible on any policy in my opinion. If you can't afford $1000 to have your vehicle or house fixed, you probably shouldn't have purchased that vehicle or home. You should be renting and driving a Puegot. Increase deductibles and increase liability limits.

Now I say that slightly tongue in cheek. But really would you rather have a $250 deductible for a comp claim with $100,000 of liability insurance or would it be better to carry comp with a $1000 deductible and have $500,000 or $1,000,000 of liability insurance. What would you rather have after you weren't paying attention and pulled out in front of a car traveling 65mph down a highway? Ask that to someone that has killed someone in a car accident.

Create insurance understanding by asking better questions of your insured's. You are the one with the license. Now go forth and save a family from financial devestation! Be proud to be an insurance agent!

Bad stuff happens. Don't let emotional tragedy turn into financial tragedy.

I would argue that anyone with kids or a dog needs the umbrella policy and the maximum insurance available. Even small dogs bite. Kids tend to do stupid things (well, not mine) like experimenting with drugs and alcohol. It's just happened too many times that the parents don't fully understand the consequences. Then there's always the crazies, I mean, I'd hate to have this woman as a client!

cbs3.com - Split Verdict Reached In Sex Sleepover Case

Great advise all; however, no one answered the question.

It gets down to Know, Like, and Trust.

Or, to use a cliche', "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

The reason she listened to her sister is because she knows her sister has no ulterior motive to tell her differently, and has her best interest at heart, even at the expense of her (the sister's) well being. You must come across as that same type of person.

TELLING her that you are the expert.

TELLING her that she needs to listen to you.

Will get you nowhere.

Get involved in her life, beyond insurance, and know more about her. Send her e-mails that might be of interest. Make her aware of upcoming events in her area, that has to do with something she is involved in, or a volunteer organization she may be interested in joining, or sharing.

Let me ask you: If you, HONESTLY, did not represent a line of coverage, and it had the best plan currently for her, would you recommend she take it?

Back