Closed Claim Reopened

myles

Hello,

I previously posted about an on-going claim from my downstairs neighbor who said my a/c unit caused water damage to her unit. After 3 months, her insurance company closed the claim (November). Now, I get a letter saying the claim was reopened. Is this possible? Can they just reopen such an old claim?

Thanks!

As answered in a previous post, this claim can and was reopened with a key stroke. If your company did not respond, her company would pay for the damages (might have already done that) and leave you alone at which point expect a small claims action against you. Or, they finally got your company to respond and are subrogating against your policy.

Hi Fed Up,
Long story short, it was my neighbor's insurance company that was difficult to get a hold of, after 2 1/2 months my adjuster got a hold of them and was told the claim was closed. A few weeks ago, I noticed work being done downstairs and now the claim is reopened. I just don't trust my neighbor...so I am questioning everything.

Look at the bright side: She has subrogated against you and your company will investigate and defend you at no additional cost to you other than a possible rate increase. Beats needing to hire an attorney to defend you against a Small Claims action. obviously the cost of repairs for damage were enough for your neighbor to try to get you to pay for it. let the insurance companies argue it out.

Thanks! I'm just frustrated and annoyed that she went straight to her insurance company instead of knocking on my door to try and work it out. And since I don't have damage to my unit, I am really puzzled as to how she has water damage in her unit.

Thanks again!

Again, look at it this way. Had she knocked on your door and you worked something out, your policy would not be there to defend you and you could have opened a huge Pandora's box of problems because YOU accepted liability. If you agreed to $1000 and she changed that to $5000 you really would be in a pickle and could be paying for all kinds of upgrades. Your carrier will assess the damage and write a check. that would be all she would get

Well, I got an email from my insurance company. My neighbor's insurance company closed the claim again.

Back