Closing Techniques

Golddoor

Guru
100+ Post Club
Texico
I need advice on closing the sale. I'm getting the work done and seeing a lot of people, but I think my closing techniques are lacking. Any good closing techniques you guy are using that you would like to share?

I need advice on closing the sale. I'm getting the work done and seeing a lot of people, but I think my closing techniques are lacking. Any good closing techniques you guy are using that you would like to share?

I cannot stand "old" closing techniques and do not like to think of them as such. If you're talking about the various closing techniques purported by some of the older guru's (Ben Gay III, Ziglar, etc.) I don't think they work as well because people are more knowledgeable about things these days and the key is to do everything in your power to differentiate yourself from the competition.

I've used a lot of what Bob, Scott and John have recommended and molded their input to suit my personality. You should probably do the same, but ask yourself, what areas need improvement and what am I doing right?"

Additionally, some of the old style closing techniques might anger some people, especially if you think about the fact that small business owner's have probably used the same techniques. I don't know about you, but when somebody tries one of the stupid Ben Franklin closes, or immediately has a canned rebuttal after I state my opinion, I get pissed off and put that person in their place immediately. There is a huge difference between selling a product and trying to sell a particular individual.

Read the book Question Based Selling and follow the recommendations of Freese. Paul and Delta76 also seem to follow the same philosophy as me regarding what techniques to use or not use. There isn't much to say once they look over at plan after saying, "would you like to use your checking account or credit card."

Is it easier or as fun to manipulate a woman into bed or to go out on a second date as it is to persuade her to come to that realization? No offense to any of the ladies on the board, but the same example work not work as well on guys because it's a pretty simple process if the roles were reversed.

That book has revolutionized my approach to selling and I effectively used it today to work on a case that originally was only to be a health deal. Now it looks like I'm also going to get a life and disability case or CI case as well.

The woman tried to brush me off immediately when I first contacted her, but somehow we ended up talking for 55 minutes and I'll be signing her up next week. She even made a joke about the fact that we had been talking for so long when she first told me to call her back. The funny thing is, when I hanged up the phone I started thinking to myself, "How the hell did I get her to stay on the phone and divulge so much information?" I think rapport is the key and I get a long with anybody who isn't stoic. Better to be yourself then to try and fit the mold of what another sales guy/gal does.

I cannot stand "old" closing techniques and do not like to think of them as such. If you're talking about the various closing techniques purported by some of the older guru's (Ben Gay III, Ziglar, etc.) I don't think they work as well because people are more knowledgeable about things these days and the key is to do everything in your power to differentiate yourself from the competition.

Boy, amen to that, J.R.

If you've done the steps correctly:

1) Attract the "right" prospect
2) Drilled down on "problems"
3) Presented the right solutions

Then no "closing techniques" are necessary!

If you're not having success, the thing to do is to go back and figure out where you're messing up the prior steps.

PS - NEVER confuse effort with results. They are two different things.

You can try question based selling...don't know if you already have that in your pocket or not but basically you let the client close themselves by "probing". It's also called the 60/40 rule. You talk 40% of the time and let the customer talk the other 60% of the time.

Use questions like "what's more important to you price or benefits?" "Tell me more about that." and "how does that make your feel".

When you're closing you recap the answers to those questions, "now Mrs Smith let me see if I understand you correctly, you're concerned about price and benefits, with xyz company you can keep your price down without sacrificing benefits, how does this sound?"

Make sure you ask for the sale...this sounds kinda stupid but you'd be surprised how many agents don't actually ASK for the sale. There was a survey taken and out of 300 mystery shopper calls only 2% of agents actually asked for the sale...go figure.

1. Summarize the needs of your client. (you have to ask questions)
2. Link benefits of your chosen plan back to those expressed needs.
3. Explain the features of the plan you've chosen and how they match your customers needs.
4. Describe what it does for the customer.
5. Describe how it helps the customer.
6. ASK for the sale. "Mrs Smith now that we've found a plan that meets your needs and your budget let's get the application submitted to the insurance company so your coverage can start as soon as possible, how does that sound?"
Handle objections by repeating steps 4-5.
Takes some practice but once you've mastered this approach you won't have any problems closing serious customers. Good luck.

P.S. This also works wonders for Life insurance and believe it or not it also works for auto and homeowners.

seeing a lot of people, but I think my closing techniques are lacking.

Have you tried "rolling them the pen?" or "blocking the exit door".

Two great tips I learned years ago. LOL...

Do you have anyone you can pair up with that is knocking it out of the park? Learn from others. By the wording of your post this sound "face to face" - certainly you must know someone else in the field?

Make sure you ask for the sale...this sounds kinda stupid but you'd be surprised how many agents don't actually ASK for the sale. There was a survey taken and out of 300 mystery shopper calls only a2% of agents actually asked for the sale...go figure.

Now I know why I had an issue with one lead source. There is something to be said about talking about the positive, as well as the potential negatives.

"This plan is $100 less than you're currently paying and is you're best bet."

vs.

"This plan is $100 less for you, which means that you will have an extra $1200 to spend each year on (insert previous reference to hobbies, business, etc) w/out sacrificing the things you want in you're new plan, like XXX,XXXX and XXXX."

You might want to hook up with a local agent or on this forum and pitch him on the phone, that is if you are selling over the phone.

My closing percentage went up when I got rid off the old school closing the deal mentality and became an advisor looking out for their best interest. I spend most of my time building a rapport and finding them the best plan for their money Most of the people I meet with me ask me " How do we get this started".

Not a better post around. Most of my clients also say "so what do I do next?" If you find yourself having to "close" people then:

1) You're not getting enough leads so you're trying to over-work the leads you have.

2) You're getting too many leads from uninsured people. The reason they're uninsured is because they either don't care about coverage or can't afford it (rare exceptions when people leave a job and can't afford Cobra.)

3) You're not spending enough time getting to know your client which means trust is never established.

These are not closing techniques, but showing an interest in your client:

They have kids - do you ask their names and ages?
When talking to the wife do you ask the husbands name and what he does?
I've worked with agents who forget their client's name during the conversation. I've worked with agents who hear "blah blah blah" when their client is talking and they can't wait for them to just shut up so they can continue with their pitch.

Next - are you mainly asking questions or talking? If you're mainly talking yo don't have a deal. You have a deal when you can't get a word in edgewise.
That all being said there are little things that make an impact. I always run a network search for doctors. It makes an impact when I say:

"Dr Phil Smith on 134 Vine Street? Yes, he takes the plan." When they see their doctor takes the plan in their mind it's "well then it must be ok."

Back