CMS Advertising MA plans Directly to Medicare Enrollees

Travis, you would be incorrect in that assessment. I have clients that I enrolled 6 months out. They go down to Social Security and enroll in person. I get quite a few calls from people asking about this plan or that plan. Now I am not at the office with them so it could be a plant or a janitor but they have come back and had questions about the MA plans and costs. It is not as bad as when they go to the Senior Centers but it does happen regularly.

Yeah, with all due respect, I take third hand accounts with a grain of salt. I actually tested this with local SSA staff locally. As I actually interact with them daily and directly.

I asked a few of them, “What’s Medicare Advantage?” The answer was, “I don’t know, is that a T16 program?” T16 is disability, fyi.

When I explained that it’s an alternative to Traditional Medicare and an insurance product, the response was universally “We sign people up for Medicare, but don’t really advise on specifics. That’s more of a Medicare thing.”

I definitely think that CMS brings up Medicare advantage as an option (because they should.) However SSA isn’t in some massive conspiracy to get people off Traditional Medicare by hocking Medicare Advantage.

CMS and SSA are two different entities under DHHS.

Again, my full time job works intimately with SSA and regulations. I’m calling shenanigans on it.

On the larger point, personally, CMS can pitch Part C all they want. I don’t worry about things that are outside of my control.

Travis, you would be incorrect in that assessment. I have clients that I enrolled 6 months out. They go down to Social Security and enroll in person. I get quite a few calls from people asking about this plan or that plan. Now I am not at the office with them so it could be a plant or a janitor but they have come back and had questions about the MA plans and costs. It is not as bad as when they go to the Senior Centers but it does happen regularly.

Consider the following situations . . .

Community organizers funded by taxpayer dollars under the Obama administration to go door to door enrolling people in Obamacare plans

Taxpayer funded navigators enrolling folks in Obamacare

TV, radio and print ads funded with taxpayer dollars promoting Obamacare

Numerous agents on this forum, including some with first hand knowledge, of taxpayer funded govt organizations promoting MA plans direct to consumers

Govt websites pushing MA plans direct to consumers

Govt publications pushing MA plans

Now either all of these stories are fiction and the people repeating them are liars, or perhaps @rawlan is misinformed.

I will agree that one of the most dangerous places to get Medicare information is from volunteers including SHIP.

Consider the following situations . . .

Community organizers funded by taxpayer dollars under the Obama administration to go door to door enrolling people in Obamacare plans

Taxpayer funded navigators enrolling folks in Obamacare

TV, radio and print ads funded with taxpayer dollars promoting Obamacare

Numerous agents on this forum, including some with first hand knowledge, of taxpayer funded govt organizations promoting MA plans direct to consumers

Govt websites pushing MA plans direct to consumers

Govt publications pushing MA plans

Now either all of these stories are fiction and the people repeating them are liars, or perhaps @rawlan is misinformed.

I will agree that one of the most dangerous places to get Medicare information is from volunteers including SHIP.

Ship is the worst with misinformation and people trust them so much

We have had SHIP folks post on this forum before. I also encounter some from time to time on public Medicare forums.

Many seems to have a decent understanding of Medicare but are essentially CLUELESS when it comes to the insurance side.

So, I did ask a few other people in my office, including some people that worked at the field office. They don't use the word "Medicare Advantage." They explain options as Traditional Medicare and what Part C is. Then they ask the client what they want to do.

I think that still falls in line with the point I was making, which is that I don't consider that hocking Part C (from SSA's standpoint.) The description I'm gleaming from people on the forum is that SSA pushes people towards Med Advantage and tell them to avoid Traditional Medicare.

I don't disagree that CMS has a campaign to "educate" seniors about Part C.

I don't disagree that Ship kinda sucks.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I was off about it being mentioned at the SSA office. However, I would say that it's being a little misrepresented here also. (I'm only talking about SSA)

I think they gain credibility because they don't have any skin in the game. I like to use that as a reason not to work with them.

So, I did ask a few other people in my office, including some people that worked at the field office. They don't use the word "Medicare Advantage." They explain options as Traditional Medicare and what Part C is. Then they ask the client what they want to do.

I think that still falls in line with the point I was making, which is that I don't consider that hocking Part C (from SSA's standpoint.) The description I'm gleaming from people on the forum is that SSA pushes people towards Med Advantage and tell them to avoid Traditional Medicare.

I don't disagree that CMS has a campaign to "educate" seniors about Part C.

I don't disagree that Ship kinda sucks.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I was off about it being mentioned at the SSA office. However, I would say that it's being a little misrepresented here also. (I'm only talking about SSA)

I think they gain credibility because they don't have any skin in the game. I like to use that as a reason not to work with them.

If they are telling them what Part C is, you can bet a at least a few are using the words, "Medicare Advantage". They may not know they are pushing it, but they are, at least to a small degree.

If they are telling them what Part C is, you can bet a at least a few are using the words, "Medicare Advantage". They may not know they are pushing it, but they are, at least to a small degree.

I can see what you’re saying. I think that because I work for the public sector I have a different interpretation of a discussion.

For example, in my job, people ask me if they need an attorney. I can’t advise them to get one or not. I can tell them how it effects what they’re doing and let them make a decision.

That’s how I view it. It’s a required part of the discussion of options. The choice is completely yours.

It’s the same as SHIP, they may know something about the program.. they rarely understand the insurance aspect associated with the program.

Ultimately, I think I’m a little sensitive to the implication that SSA is trying to push people to Medicare Advantage because I work with them. I think that’s a mischaracterization of what happens. YMMV.

Last edited:
I can see what you’re saying. I think that because I work for the public sector I have a different interpretation of a discussion.

For example, in my job, people ask me if they need an attorney. I can’t advise them to get one or not. I can tell them how it effects what they’re doing and let them make a decision.

That’s how I view it. It’s a required part of the discussion of options. The choice is completely yours.

It’s the same as SHIP, they may know something about the program.. they rarely understand the insurance aspect associated with the program.

Ultimately, I think I’m a little sensitive to the implication that SSA is trying to push people to Medicare Advantage because I work with them. I think that’s a mischaracterization of what happens. YMMV.

Well, I won't lay it on SSA, but overall I think it is very apparent that the Gubment is pushing MA Plans.

Do you mean the local SSA office? If so, that’s the most absurd conspiracy theory I’ve ever heard.

I can believe CMS doing pop-ups and e-mails. However, most SSA personal don’t know just about the specificities of Medicare insurance. They couldn’t tell you Plan F to Plan N. They can’t really tell you much about Medicare Advantage either.

SSA customer facing personnel work on about 5 different projects and are woefully understaffed. As someone that works with SSA and the local field offices daily, I’m pretty appalled at this misinformation.

it greatly depends on their area, it could go either way honestly. just remember theyre not agents.

Back