CMS and churning business

Insuranceman

Guru
100+ Post Club
We are now getting close to open enrollment and still no clue on commisions and we have a bunch of new rules no one fully understands yet. I wouldn't even mess with MA plans if it wasn't for the fact that my clients are getting shafted this year on their benefits and there are better options available to them. I know CMS has a big burr up there butt about churning business but I have a moral obligation to contact my clients and let them know about these options.
Whether I get compensated of not for my time and effort I do not know yet but I need to start contacting people this week. My concern is that CMS is going to come down on me for doing whats right and ethical.

We are now getting close to open enrollment and still no clue on commisions and we have a bunch of new rules no one fully understands yet. I wouldn't even mess with MA plans if it wasn't for the fact that my clients are getting shafted this year on their benefits and there are better options available to them. I know CMS has a big burr up there butt about churning business but I have a moral obligation to contact my clients and let them know about these options.
Whether I get compensated of not for my time and effort I do not know yet but I need to start contacting people this week. My concern is that CMS is going to come down on me for doing whats right and ethical.

First of all, CMS is not going to "come down on (you) for doing whats right and ethical". The Medicare & You 2009 on page 42 says "Each year you should review your health and prescription needs because your health, finances, or coverage may have changed. If you decide other coverage will better meet you needs, you can switch plans during certain times. See pages 59 and 65."

Those pages (59 and 65) refer to MA enrollment periods for MAs and PDPs.

The new regulations about approaching seniors is because of rude and irritating behavior of agressive salesmen in the past. I have made comments in the past on this forum about calling seniors first before showing up on the doorstep, and was ballyhooed. Now it is law.

Be courteous, respectful, and of course follow the rules (which are in print) and you will do fine.

Last edited:
Well they can't come down on me for churning if to the best of my knowledge I have no commission to gain. Currently, I make no commission and I'm unaware of any commission. I can't be accused of churning if there is no gain.

I'm going to help my clients during these difficult times. They have taken care of me for 23 years. I will not cut and run. If they have an opportunity to go back to Original Medicare I'm all over that! :cool:

Back