CMS Approved telemarketing Script for Med. Advantage

I cold-call for supplements. This week I went to an apartment complex on an appointment and I was looking around for the right apartment. A nice lady sitting on her porch asked me who I was looking for. I told her and she said ----"he's right around the corner---here--I will show you...."and she did ---I wrote an app on the guy and came out an hour later-I went up to the lady and thanked her....I said my business is working with people for Medicare Supplement plans---she said, "oh do you have the BLAH BLAH plan?" I said 'Yes I do"....she said "let me write down my phone number and I would like to meet with you sometime".

I went to my car to get a couple business cards and I came back to her and now a neighbor was sitting with her on the porch.....the first lady said-"this is my neighbor, Betty"...she would llike to listen in too when we meet about the BLAH BLAH plan"....

Now, the BLAH BLAH plan is a Medicare Advantage plan, not a supplement.....How would you experts deal with this one in a CMS compliant fashion?

Sounds stupid but you should have gotten a scope that day according to cms regs as the easiest solution. Your consent to contact was obtained as walk in, as you didn't approach her as a cold call. You should in theory get a phone recording, email, or other verification you had prior consent to the appointment, and do a scope that day, or mail her the scope then wait for it to come back.

I'm sure next week I'll hear something different, but yesterday Healthspring's new stance was that they didn't require the scope before the appointment, just that you had recorded consent to do the appointment and collected the scope at the appointment.

I cold-call for supplements. This week I went to an apartment complex on an appointment and I was looking around for the right apartment. A nice lady sitting on her porch asked me who I was looking for. I told her and she said ----"he's right around the corner---here--I will show you...."and she did ---I wrote an app on the guy and came out an hour later-I went up to the lady and thanked her....I said my business is working with people for Medicare Supplement plans---she said, "oh do you have the BLAH BLAH plan?" I said 'Yes I do"....she said "let me write down my phone number and I would like to meet with you sometime".

I went to my car to get a couple business cards and I came back to her and now a neighbor was sitting with her on the porch.....the first lady said-"this is my neighbor, Betty"...she would llike to listen in too when we meet about the BLAH BLAH plan"....

Now, the BLAH BLAH plan is a Medicare Advantage plan, not a supplement.....How would you experts deal with this one in a CMS compliant fashion?

70.9.2 - Beneficiary Walk-ins to a Plan or Agent/Broker Office or Similar Beneficiary-Initiated Face-to-Face Sales Event
(Rev. 93, Issued: 06-04-10, Effective/Implementation: 06-04-10)

42 CFR 422.2268(g) and (h), 423.2268 (g) and (h)
In instances where a beneficiary visits a plan or an agent/broker office on his/her own accord, the plan sponsor or agent/broker should complete a scope of appointment form and secure the beneficiary’s signature prior to discussing MA, PDP, or cost plans. Plan sponsors and agents/brokers should note on the scope of appointment form that the beneficiary was a walk-in. In this instance, the forty-eight (48) hour waiting period does not apply.

But, this was not beneficiary initiated. He walked up to her, told her what his business was. Then she asked a question. She did not approach him.

That said, there is slim to NO chance anyone is going to ask her how/when/where she met the agent.

But, this was not beneficiary initiated. He walked up to her, told her what his business was. Then she asked a question. She did not approach him.

That said, there is slim to NO chance anyone is going to ask her how/when/where she met the agent.

She brought up the subject of MA not the agent. She said she wanted to talk about MA and that her friend did too.

"I said my business is working with people for Medicare Supplement plans---she said, "oh do you have the BLAH BLAH plan?" I said 'Yes I do"....she said "let me write down my phone number and I would like to meet with you sometime".

.....the first lady said-"this is my neighbor, Betty"...she would llike to listen in too when we meet about the BLAH BLAH plan"....

Now, the BLAH BLAH plan is a Medicare Advantage plan"

If questioned, it would be a tough sell that it was client initiated if the meeting happened at the clients home. If someone read this after an investigation was started, the story wouldn't be interpreted the same way.

As long as the scope was signed though, you would probably be fine. Or sign now, come back in 2 days. Sounds like that is what she wanted anyway.

As someone said, slim to NO chance of anybody really caring in this situation.

Dan

Whip out a SOA and if it would be too much hassle...
Is their not a checkbox for "unplanned attendee?" Tread lightly but if it is in the best interest of the Senior...

You have to make sure you are clear that an MA plan is not a Medicare Supplement. Perhaps you clarified this with the client and didn't express it in your post. You are allowed to discuss what a Medicare part C plan is, but you should adhere to the 48 hour rule and SOA (Scope of appointment) before going into plan specifics.

As a rule of thumb, I don't carry MA material into an appointment unless I already have an SOA. This way I have a legitimate out to schedule an appointment to come back better prepared.

You have to make sure you are clear that an MA plan is not a Medicare Supplement. Perhaps you clarified this with the client and didn't express it in your post. You are allowed to discuss what a Medicare part C plan is, but you should adhere to the 48 hour rule and SOA (Scope of appointment) before going into plan specifics.

As a rule of thumb, I don't carry MA material into an appointment unless I already have an SOA. This way I have a legitimate out to schedule an appointment to come back better prepared.

That's great advice for a thread that last had a post 6 years ago.

Rick

Back