CMS Changes Are Going to Lead to Commission Cuts for MAPD

So, overall rates are not going to get cut. Just next year, we will only get paid until the end of the year at which point we will get paid monthly.

I just got my UH email also. No longer paying commissions at all on a bunch more MAPD plans including the only one in my area. What do I tell all the people who call me from renewals from current UH members? Just write them out of the goodness of my heart?

Looks like a pretty good screwing if you write T65 business.

AEP commissions will be fine going forward but working the t-65 market throughout the year will result in an overall average 50% commission reduction

It looks like it depends on if the plan can be true-up'd or not. Plans that can will get paid full. Others will be prorated. Now we just have to see which plans are which.

I just got my UH email also. No longer paying commissions at all on a bunch more MAPD plans including the only one in my area. What do I tell all the people who call me from renewals from current UH members? Just write them out of the goodness of my heart?

You could do a number of things. You can always give them the number directly to UH. Some agents will also "write them out of the goodness of my heart" to get the other business. Many agents currently do that with PDP plans to get the supp business.

I would expect the trend of MA becoming less and less attractive to sell to continue. I got out of it about a year after MIPPA and haven't regretted it.

It looks like it depends on if the plan can be true-up'd or not. Plans that can will get paid full. Others will be prorated. Now we just have to see which plans are which.

What I heard from my manager is that UHC has decided to continue to pay full commissions in those areas that are considered the most profitable and to cut commissions in the not-so-profitable areas....its all about $$ and gotta make sure that CEO gets his $48 million this year :1mad::1mad:

What I heard from my manager is that UHC has decided to continue to pay full commissions in those areas that are considered the most profitable and to cut commissions in the not-so-profitable areas....its all about $$ and gotta make sure that CEO gets his $48 million this year :1mad::1mad:

For years I was a carrier rep and so my perspective is going to be a bit different.

UHC is hardly the only carrier to do this and it has less to do with paying the commissions and more to do with them not wanting the business. I obviously don't know the internal decisions of UHC, but at the carriers I've worked for the decision to stop paying commissions in certain areas was because they didn't quite want to pull out of the market, but they didn't want any more enrollments there. Carriers can and do lose money in areas. If they give the risk pool some time to clean up sometimes it prevents the death spiral.

Another way carriers make markets work is by reducing comp to providers. For example, in Florida a large group of providers left the UHC network. Again, I don't know why UHC made that decision, but I suspect it was because they had made an agreement with the provider groups at X amount above Medicare, but with the way the utilization and comp look moving forward it isn't viable for them to continue to pay out those higher rates, so they probably didn't renew the agreement and so the providers decided to part ways with UHC. From what I understand the product is still commissionable, but that is a way of addressing the viability of a given MA market.

I seriously don't know how to handle the calls I am going to get asking for the UH MAPD their Sister or buddy has. If I can't write a Hospital Indemnity plan along with it what good would it do to write them? From what I have seen in the past if they make them non commissionable then the plan ends at the end of that year. That's probably what I will tell everyone is that the UH MAPD will be ending so you don't want to go on it. Screw em.

Back