CMS Regulations True or False

kstein

Guru
1000 Post Club
True or false an independent insurance broker can provide referral fees to a center of influence on Medicare Advantage Sales. If so, what are the maximum allowed per sale and /or or per year

I'm taking the AHIP as we speak. You can offer referral fees as long as it is not contingent on a sale. Meaning you have to offer for every referral, sale or no sale and it can't be more than $15 gift. And if you buy something in bulk, the MSRP can't be more than $15 even if you paid less than $15.

And I seem to remember that it can't be cash or easily converted into cash.

But I was half a sleep as I was going thru that stuff. ^^^ That could all be wrong.

'

Didn't you study that when getting certified?:err:

I'm sure I did but the answer escapes me right now. Then I call my upline who says that you go directly to jail for doing this which directly contradicts the local uhc liaison's answer. I assume you don't know either, thus the info less response.

These are the guidelines I believe to be correct which reference a $100 fee for MAPD referrals but don't specifically mention non licensed referrals or the total amount per year. For example a CPA referees me 10 clients, can I pay him $1000 over the year?

If anyone has any thoughts or other specifics I'd love to hear.

Medicare Marketing Guidelines
For Medicare Advantage Plans1
, Medicare Advantage Prescription
Drug Plans, Prescription Drug Plans, Employer/Union-Sponsored
Group Health Plans, Medicare-Medicaid Plans, and Section 1876
Cost Plans
Table of Contents
(Issued: 07/02/2015)

I'm sure I did but the answer escapes me right now. Then I call my upline who says that you go directly to jail for doing this which directly contradicts the local uhc liaison's answer. I assume you don't know either, thus the info less response.

These are the guidelines I believe to be correct which reference a $100 fee for MAPD referrals but don't specifically mention non licensed referrals or the total amount per year. For example a CPA referees me 10 clients, can I pay him $1000 over the year?

If anyone has any thoughts or other specifics I'd love to hear.

Medicare Marketing Guidelines
For Medicare Advantage Plans1
, Medicare Advantage Prescription
Drug Plans, Prescription Drug Plans, Employer/Union-Sponsored
Group Health Plans, Medicare-Medicaid Plans, and Section 1876
Cost Plans
Table of Contents
(Issued: 07/02/2015)

I just started certifying with Silver Scripts, and haven't done MAPD's for years. Off the top of my head I'll say that I think HoosierLife's pretty close, but I think there's an annual maximum($59?).

I'm taking the AHIP as we speak. You can offer referral fees as long as it is not contingent on a sale. Meaning you have to offer for every referral, sale or no sale and it can't be more than $15 gift. And if you buy something in bulk, the MSRP can't be more than $15 even if you paid less than $15.

And I seem to remember that it can't be cash or easily converted into cash.

But I was half a sleep as I was going thru that stuff. ^^^ That could all be wrong.

I thought this was for the actual client/MB and couldn't be used as an "inducement to enroll" and cant exceed $15, can't be converted easily to cash, etc. Basically you could offer all potential clients a coffee cup, but couldn't then say sorry you have to sign up to get it.

I would suggest contacting your upline FMO's compliance person. It's my understanding that each FMO is required to have that person on staff.

I just started certifying with Silver Scripts, and haven't done MAPD's for years. Off the top of my head I'll say that I think HoosierLife's pretty close, but I think there's an annual maximum($59?).

Pretty sure the annual cap per person is $15.

Back