Coaching..Do You Really Need It ?

Logan Five

When I was in real estate sales, many agents used personal sales coaching to help with their production.

I don't know if this is the case in insurance or working as a FA. What is your opinion of personal coaches ?
Are they worth the $$ ?

What are your thoughts?

I started part time with two IMO's that offered very little in the way of structured training and mentorship. There is a world of difference between what I have been able to accomplish with my current IMO where I have access to training, mentorship, and critically, field underwriting support while in a client meeting compared to how I had struggled in fits and starts without that help.

I do not know that I would recommend hiring a "coach," however. I would lean more toward getting yourself aligned with an IMO or agency where your upline has a record of success both as an in-field sales agent and a record of success in training such agents. Also, get to know some of the long-timers on this forum. There are a few very knowledgeable agents who are quite generous with sharing their experience with those making a real effort to succeed in this business.

Independent Marketing Organization.

Regarding coaches... I'd start with any published materials that they've produced and integrate that into your process. As soon as you are 'functional', a coach can be helpful to help you get out of your own way and produce at higher levels in an easier way.

Insurance Pro Shop - www.insuranceproshop.com - insurance selling systems and training, member's site, etc. Systems include 3 months of coaching.

Sandy Schussel - www.sandyschussel.com He was my referral training coach. You can get his Mastering Client Referrals on his website for only $37. (Sandy has an exclusive relationship with a broker/dealer, so he's not available for coaching with agents/advisors right now.)

We already talked about Sid Walker in your other thread.

I have not hired these people as coaches, but I do recommend their published materials. But if you have trouble integrating their materials and training into your processes, THEN you may find coaching valuable.

When I was in real estate sales, many agents used personal sales coaching to help with their production.

I don't know if this is the case in insurance or working as a FA. What is your opinion of personal coaches ?
Are they worth the $$ ?

What are your thoughts?

A very good question...

When you get your lic. you need to look for someone you can trust to follow for a bit and then have them follow you...

Critiquing is an important part of learning any trade well, and when dealing with the public, it is very important. :yes:

I don't think I would pay for the service though... you might find a good IMO or split commissions with a field agent.

The added support also helps as you take your learning curve... helps keep your head in the game and you feet headed in the right direction. :yes:

Back