COBRA conversion in Kansas

headcoach

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Texas
My sister lives in Kansas and was disabled in an auto accident and lost her job. She has been disabled because of head trauma(cognitive disability). She has a Masters degree and is fine except her thinking is slow and unable to reason quickly and gets overwhelmed very quickly. She is also bi-polar and has on going medical problems and surgeries scheduled.

She was declined by Assurant. I plan to have her apply to the risk pool. Is there anyone who would write her in Kansas? I have checked and can not find anyone. Of course I need to get her covered so she has continuation of coverage/creditable coverage(HIPPA)

I am of the opinion that her only option for acceptance as well as continuation of coverage is with the risk pool. Is my thinking correct?

I am sure Somarco could answer this or any one familiar with Health Insurance in Kansas. Thanks for your time. I need help on this one.

If she has exhausted COBRA, from the regulations I've looked at, it appears as though once she is declined by two companies (sounds like you've already got one with Assurant) she is eligible to apply to KHIA (state risk pool), on a guaranteed issue, no exclusion for pre-existing basis.

Hope that helps. Good luck to both of you.

Back