Cold Calling 101: Professor Richard Deckard

What do you think of this script to start with?

Hi My Name is Cheryl calling on behalf of xxxxx.

Pause for a quick second

Our records indicate your home insurance is renewing next month and we specialize in home insurance renewals in your area. Being an independent agent we can save our clients between 20-30% off their current premiums.

Wait for a response, then resume with questions if they say yes....

Horrible script. Let's see if we can improve on it.

Hi My Name is Cheryl calling on behalf of xxxxx here in (your city) at (cross-streets). May I take a quick minute to tell you why I called and then you can tell me what you think?

Now you pause and wait for an affirmative response.

Thank you. I'll be brief. The reason I called was that we specialize in home owner insurance renewals here in (city) because we're an independent agency. We often can save our residents up to 20-30% each year while often increasing their coverage. If I may, to find out if we can do the same for you, I'd just need to ask you a few questions to see if it would make sense for your situation and we can have a chance to earn your business.

What do you think? May I ask you a few questions so I can generate a quote and compare it to your current coverage?

Now, this is just based off of your post, but the goal is to show that you're local (you are calling locally, right?), show value with little risk of time to expend, and keep it conversational. "Our records indicate" is not 'conversational'.

I hope this helps some.

I sell in the whole state of Michigan, but that gives me an idea of what to change.

Horrible script. Let's see if we can improve on it.

Hi My Name is Cheryl calling on behalf of xxxxx here in (your city) at (cross-streets). May I take a quick minute to tell you why I called and then you can tell me what you think?

Now you pause and wait for an affirmative response.

Thank you. I'll be brief. The reason I called was that we specialize in home owner insurance renewals here in (city) because we're an independent agency. We often can save our residents up to 20-30% each year while often increasing their coverage. If I may, to find out if we can do the same for you, I'd just need to ask you a few questions to see if it would make sense for your situation and we can have a chance to earn your business.

What do you think? May I ask you a few questions so I can generate a quote and compare it to your current coverage?

Now, this is just based off of your post, but the goal is to show that you're local (you are calling locally, right?), show value with little risk of time to expend, and keep it conversational. "Our records indicate" is not 'conversational'.

I hope this helps some.
Change
"on behalf of"
to with. It's a lot easier to say and replaces three words with one.

What do you think of this script to start with?

Hi My Name is Cheryl calling on behalf of xxxxx.

Pause for a quick second

Our records indicate your home insurance is renewing next month and we specialize in home insurance renewals in your area. Being an independent agent we can save our clients between 20-30% off their current premiums.

Wait for a response, then resume with questions if they say yes....

Hi Mr/Mrs Smith, my name is Rick and I'm calling specifically about your homeowner's insurance which is set for renewal in a few weeks.

-I specialize in 1st year renewals throughout South Florida(think that's where you are) and typically save my customers/clients about 20-30% on their current premiums.

Go get 'em!

Back