Cold Calling Against The Law ?

I'm getting quite a few election Robo calls now. Not to also mention the people who have knocked on my door asking for me by name trying to get me to vote for so and so.

It's only against the law if you call numbers on the "Do Not Call List."

A friend of mine was thinking about joining a firm that runs every cold-call their guys make through a do-not-call database as soon as they make the call, and if the number turns up on the list, it clicks off and they get billed $.50 each. Fortunately he opted not to join that firm.

Phil Moyers
Phil Moyers, Arlington Texas

When I had a service business, the law read that businesses of less than 6 (?) employees did not fall under DNC guidelines. That may have changed over the last several years. However, most of you on this list will not be hampered by DNC regulations. Refer to the Do Not Call website:

Who is covered by the National Do Not Call Registry?

The National Do Not Call Registry applies to any plan, program, or campaign to sell goods or services through interstate phone calls. This includes telemarketers who solicit consumers, often on behalf of third party sellers. It also includes sellers who provide, offer to provide, or arrange to provide goods or services to consumers in exchange for payment.
The National Do Not Call Registry does not limit calls by political organizations, charities, or telephone surveyors. <end quote>

If you live in Michigan, and you call clients in Michigan, you are not making INTERstate calls, you are making INTRAstate calls...and therefore, not subject to the DNC regulations. You may want to avoid calling people on the DNC list just for public goodwill, but if you call one accidently, you are not going to be fined. HOWEVER...if they ASK you not to call, you are advised to discontinue calling them, as you can then be penalized for continuing to call after you were asked not to.

HTH

Are you willing to gamble up to $11,000 per complaint that you're right?

There are ways to "get around" this... but that doesn't mean you should do it.

There's no "gamble"...the law is the law as written in the previous post:

Interstate commerce refers to the purchase, sale or exchange of commodities, transportation of people, money or goods, and navigation of waters between different states.

INTERSTATE COMMERCE

"Commerce between any place in a State and [not or] any place outside of that State, or within any possession of the United States (not including the Canal Zone) or the District of Columbia, and commerce between places within the same State but through any place outside of that State. 18 U.S.C.

If you are not doing INTERSTATE calling, you are good. If you want to play it safe, you can always pay the government the money and subscribe to the DNC list.

The only thing that gnaws at me is you can't call them and ask...they won't make a determination. I had to pay a lawyer to clarify the law.

A lot of people are getting hit with fines right now.

Make sure to scrub your list against the dnc list.

Back