Cold Calling Door Knocking for Final Expense

phoward

Hi, still new to Final Expense. Question about Cold Calling door knocking. I understand that leads are expensive and not always reliable. Has anyone had any luck just walking down a street and knocking on every door?

I had my first application filled out using this technique. Should I proceed with walking and knocking? Maybe I was just lucky.

This happened on the North Shore of Boston MA.

Thanks

Hi, still new to Final Expense. Question about Cold Calling door knocking. I understand that leads are expensive and not always reliable. Has anyone had any luck just walking down a street and knocking on every door?

I had my first application filled out using this technique. Should I proceed with walking and knocking? Maybe I was just lucky.

Thanks

Leads are neither expensive or unreliable considering their roi. Just ask the 1000s of agents nationwide who use them weekly. Personally if i had to cold door knock i would either eat a bullet or do something else lol. Why make it so hard, let someone else to the heavy lifting and spend your time selling, buy leads and get placed in a higher income bracket! $$$$$. :)

Thanks

As I told someone else recently here, if your time has no value them continue as you are doing.

If your time has value then get some leads.

Thanks

The only reason you were "lucky" was because you were putting yourself in front of prospects.. As the old fellow says, "The harder I work, the luckier I get."... Canvasing has long been a proven way of prospecting in the insurance business. When I started that was the source of the majority of our new business. However, almost all of the big hitters working today's FE market buy a steady steam of leads but until you can get leads coming in, continue knocking doors.. Better that than sitting around waiting on the leads.

Anecdotally any random Door knocked houses I have gotten into I find their persistency has been lower. If you're not going to buy leads and invest in your business really not sure why you're in the game.

Hi, still new to Final Expense. Question about Cold Calling door knocking. I understand that leads are expensive and not always reliable. Has anyone had any luck just walking down a street and knocking on every door? I had my first application filled out using this technique. Should I proceed with walking and knocking? Maybe I was just lucky. This happened on the North Shore of Boston MA. Thanks

Either way, it is going to cost you time. I don't know anyone who cold door knocks FE only.

I've tried just about every door knocking gig.

Vacuum sweepers, cable tv, alarms...

Life insurance is by far the toughest. I was moderately successful at selling cancer plans for a short time but the commissions were so low, I lost interest.

The only agents I know today that still door knock, work the T-65 market.

I imagine a P&C agent would do well generating home, renter, and auto leads by door knocking.

But cold knocking for life insurance sucks.

You will stumble across sales though if you work hard and long enough. (150+ doors a day) But, I would take the commissions from those first apps you write and invest in leads.

It was hard for me to take the risk and drop money on leads at first.

Now that I've taken the plunge, and am seeing the fruits, it's hard to go back!

It's all about leverage. You still have to work hard to get a hold of and convert those leads, but at least your time is focused on those that are at least willing to give you a few seconds to hear what you got.

Now you can really focus on honing your sales skills because you freed up 80-90 percent of your time that was previously spent on prospecting for leads.

Either way, it is going to cost you time. I don't know anyone who cold door knocks FE only.

That's because it would be impossible to do. Unless you get into a specific retirement community how do you know who's going to answer the door when you knock? Yesterday an older lady opened the door...she was about 60. I talked for about a minute or two then she started speaking a language I had no idea what it was. I left a card anyway.....ya never know.

One thing about getting old is that it's easy to miss judge peoples' ages. If a young kid opens the door I tend to ask if their parents are home. When they tell me they're 25 and this is their home I go..."opps...sorry" and start talking about family plans. More often then not at that age it's a lost cause.

Unless you get into a specific retirement community how do you know who's going to answer the door when you knock?

When I was new, and didn't know any better, I tried going D2D and depending on the age of who answered, I alternated my approach between "Income Protection" or "Burial Insurance". You definitely had to think on your feet!

It was easier to lead with a cancer plan intro at every door, then tactfully bring up the life insurance question somewhere in the presentation. Classic bait and switch approach, but it did work some of the time.

I am working some leads. My boss gives me leads. I go to the neighborhood to work the lead. Then just to add some belly to belly contacts, I walk around the neighborhood cold calling by knocking on doors.

The paid lead gets me into the neighborhood. The cold calling door knocking increases my belly to belly count. When my paid leads become so many that I do NOT have time to do any cold knocking on doors, then I will just do leads. At the moment I do have time to work the leads and do cold calling door knocking.

I find that I like cold calling with door knocking. Maybe I just enjoy talking to strangers and thinking on my feet when the next stranger opens the door.

FE will work for me one way or another. Until I get my first payment I will work the leads from the boss and do cold calling door knocking.

Thanks for the feedback from people who have done door knocking.

Back