Cold Calling Sucks - But It Works

Here is a great 5 minute training video from our website on Talk Like They Talk Sales Training Course

Hello, I just wanted to thank you and the other fellow for referring me to this Stan Billue trainer. His techniques are clearly derived from years of experience and apply to almost any type of sales (although you must tinker according to product). I've been studying his stuff thoroughly, and I think I will be a far stronger salesman as a result!

Just be sure that, if speaking with someone originally from Egypt, you refrain from walking like an Egyptian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. This is my 1st post btw. Glad to see such a forum. Ive been hanging out down here in south fl. for 20+ yrs slingin everything from precious metals to septic tank additives over the phone. Ill be taking my 2-15 licence test monday with an eye on getting into the insurance game. Wish me luck...I hate tests with a passion and ive been scoring in the low 70's on my practice exams.
Anyhow, my veiw on cold calling is alot like it is about most things in life, its what you make of it. It doesnt suck or not suck, it's just cold calling.
Now my wife...she doesnt suck,,,and THAT sucks...but thats another conversation.
Anyhow, hear me out on this:
Sales is an art, not a science. The basic anatomy of a sale is the same irregardless of your product or service. You get a lead-You make contact-You build rapport-You qualify the decision maker- You pitch your ACME widget or whatever-You overcome objections(If you dont get any you've likely got a stroker on your hands or less likely; the ever rare and elusive laydown)-and then you CLOSE-if your lucky, after that you might get a referral or two but thats it.
Those are the tools of the trade of a salesman. No different then an instrument and sheet music to a musician. But having the tools and making "music" are two different things entirely. If your skills are lacking then you need to practice. If your already a virtuoso then you still need to practice. WHY? because thats what artists do.
In the end it doesnt matter if you call off of $10 a piece leads or out of the phone book. What matters are the ammount of zeros tacked on to your check on friday. How they get there almost borders on irrelavent.

So if you just HATE "cold" calling then just dont do it. It will likely just make you miserable and that will make the one thing you cant afford to have suffer, suffer...your attitude.

Just something to maybe keep in mind: Every call is, in a way, a cold call. They are always cold to YOU as you are always cold to them.
Because some other person got in their good graces and agreed to be contacted by someone like you or because you or your boss shelled out an arm and a leg for a batch of phone numbers doesnt mean a good goddamn if your not good goddammit. and the only way to get good is to look at yourself more like an artist and less like a factory worker and practice.

A quick story: I once made a $100 bet with a co-worker/friend. We we're selling gold bullion over the phone and I wagered that I could move $5k+ calling out of the phonebook before he could do so with his $10 leads he was so smugly proud of. To be honest I lost the bet as he closed $7500 worth of business after like two hours. It took me most of the rest of the day to get a deal but the deal I got was for $50k...so who really won?:1err:

So the main thing here to keep in mind is to make contact w/people and work your magic over and over and over again, not the manner in which you do so.

Just sayin....

If you guys have never read "How to Master the art of selling" by Tom Hopkins you ABSOLUTELY should. Stan B is good but Tommy is the MAN!

Last edited:
Hi everyone. This is my 1st post btw. Glad to see such a forum. Ive been hanging out down here in south fl. for 20+ yrs slingin everything from precious metals to septic tank additives over the phone. Ill be taking my 2-15 licence test monday with an eye on getting into the insurance game. Wish me luck...I hate tests with a passion and ive been scoring in the low 70's on my practice exams.
Anyhow, my veiw on cold calling is alot like it is about most things in life, its what you make of it. It doesnt suck or not suck, it's just cold calling.
Now my wife...she doesnt suck,,,and THAT sucks...but thats another conversation.
Anyhow, hear me out on this:
Sales is an art, not a science. The basic anatomy of a sale is the same irregardless of your product or service. You get a lead-You make contact-You build rapport-You qualify the decision maker- You pitch your ACME widget or whatever-You overcome objections(If you dont get any you've likely got a stroker on your hands or less likely; the ever rare and elusive laydown)-and then you CLOSE-if your lucky, after that you might get a referral or two but thats it.
Those are the tools of the trade of a salesman. No different then an instrument and sheet music to a musician. But having the tools and making "music" are two different things entirely. If your skills are lacking then you need to practice. If your already a virtuoso then you still need to practice. WHY? because thats what artists do.
In the end it doesnt matter if you call off of $10 a piece leads or out of the phone book. What matters are the ammount of zeros tacked on to your check on friday. How they get there almost borders on irrelavent.

So if you just HATE "cold" calling then just dont do it. It will likely just make you miserable and that will make the one thing you cant afford to have suffer, suffer...your attitude.

Just something to maybe keep in mind: Every call is, in a way, a cold call. They are always cold to YOU as you are always cold to them.
Because some other person got in their good graces and agreed to be contacted by someone like you or because you or your boss shelled out an arm and a leg for a batch of phone numbers doesnt mean a good goddamn if your not good goddammit. and the only way to get good is to look at yourself more like an artist and less like a factory worker and practice.

A quick story: I once made a $100 bet with a co-worker/friend. We we're selling gold bullion over the phone and I wagered that I could move $5k+ calling out of the phonebook before he could do so with his $10 leads he was so smugly proud of. To be honest I lost the bet as he closed $7500 worth of business after like two hours. It took me most of the rest of the day to get a deal but the deal I got was for $50k...so who really won?:1err:

So the main thing here to keep in mind is to make contact w/people and work your magic over and over and over again, not the manner in which you do so.

Just sayin....

If you guys have never read "How to Master the art of selling" by Tom Hopkins you ABSOLUTELY should. Stan B is good but Tommy is the MAN!

That's a great spiel but insurance is not commodity sale.

That's a great spiel but insurance is not commodity sale.

I dont recall saying it was.

what i was giving my opinion on was cold calling in relation to the sales process no matter what your selling.

if you know something about insurance in particular that voids that idea i would appreciate it if you could enlighten me.
im always open to learning new things.

Back