Cold Calling Sucks - But It Works

I dont recall saying it was.

what i was giving my opinion on was cold calling in relation to the sales process no matter what your selling.

if you know something about insurance in particular that voids that idea i would appreciate it if you could enlighten me.
im always open to learning new things.

You described it EXACTLY as a commodity sale. "You pitch your ACME widget or whatever..."

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

I guess in my opinion most insurance is a commodity sale everything from med sups to final expense We only start proving our need if we bring solutions to their problems out living income passing on tax free dollars to heirs how to more efficiently protect their assets Other wise anyone can look up the cheapest med sup or burial plan and call direct and sign up. Our job is to show them the need to do business with us because if they are not doing it with us they are doing it with the next agent that shows them why they need it vs some one saying buy this product

I dont recall saying it was.

what i was giving my opinion on was cold calling in relation to the sales process no matter what your selling.

if you know something about insurance in particular that voids that idea i would appreciate it if you could enlighten me.
im always open to learning new things.

Well, you kinda did compare selling insurance to selling a commodity;

"The basic anatomy of a sale is the same irregardless of your product or service. You get a lead-You make contact-You build rapport-You qualify the decision maker- You pitch your ACME widget or whatever-You overcome objections.."

And I doubt that I could add anything to your expertise in selling.. Just let me know it all applies once you get that license and get out there.

Well, you kinda did compare selling insurance to selling a commodity;

"The basic anatomy of a sale is the same irregardless of your product or service. You get a lead-You make contact-You build rapport-You qualify the decision maker- You pitch your ACME widget or whatever-You overcome objections.."

And I doubt that I could add anything to your expertise in selling.. Just let me know it all applies once you get that license and get out there.

I certainly will. If it doesnt I can tell you this...im screwed. The reason is is that Im a salesman first and whatever im selling is secondary. Because if you can close, I believe(at this point anyway) it doesnt matter what the "widget" is and if you can't close..again, it doesnt matter what the widget is.

product knowledge is of vast importance certainly but i'm still convinced that kind of knowledge takes a back seat to the ability to sell. not when it comes to getting licenced, granted, but when it comes to applying that knowledge in the real world.

Hi All

My 2 cents - People buy for 2 reasons avoidance of pain or the possibility of reward

figure out why they are even thinking about your product or service - you get the sale
obviously this is over simplified but it's what it boils down to

Good selling !

Have known people whohad very little product knowlege but have made a good lving in this business because they could sell. They would take on product, an accident plan for example and other than knowing what the benefits of thier plan were they didn't know anything about any other company's plans or any other type of insurance but they showed ther one plan to everyone they met, were good at building a need and good at closing.

I certainly will. If it doesnt I can tell you this...im screwed. The reason is is that Im a salesman first and whatever im selling is secondary. Because if you can close, I believe(at this point anyway) it doesnt matter what the "widget" is and if you can't close..again, it doesnt matter what the widget is.

product knowledge is of vast importance certainly but i'm still convinced that kind of knowledge takes a back seat to the ability to sell. Not when it comes to getting licensed, granted, but when it comes to applying that knowledge in the real world.

Wizard: I'm 100% with you. Ability to sell tranlates to any product. I've trained guys that one could give a laydown to & they'd blow the sale:(

I Love Tommy Hopkins' book. It is the first book I ever read regarding sales. I lived in SoCal when Tommy first came out with his book back in 1980-'81. I was a newly licensed RE agent graduating from college soon & my Aunt paid for my way to his sales seminar! Still remember it today it was that good. Really got me off to a great start in life. I too highly recommend it.

I know a guy that has started to send cards before he makes his cold calls to let them know he'll be calling on them at a certain date / time.

Now most of the time people still ignore him or have their guard up. But sometimes they're more open. For example he might say something like, "This is Darien calling, did you get the card I sent you last week?" He has found that something as simple as that card has helped him get in the door and helped lower their guard a little bit.

Of course it won't work for everyone. But we're just trying to improve our numbers a little bit, right?

I know a guy that has started to send cards before he makes his cold calls to let them know he'll be calling on them at a certain date / time.

Now most of the time people still ignore him or have their guard up. But sometimes they're more open. For example he might say something like, "This is Darien calling, did you get the card I sent you last week?" He has found that something as simple as that card has helped him get in the door and helped lower their guard a little bit.

Of course it won't work for everyone. But we're just trying to improve our numbers a little bit, right?

This is something we do and are fairly successful at it our main concentration is on med sups but people are warmer. I send out on average 75 set 4-5 appt usually get 4-5 apps husband wife This forum has giving me the insight to ask for fe right away usually I go after med sup to Ltc to annuities to life but adding fe right away can add some commission enhancement to start.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is something we do and are fairly successful at it our main concentration is on med sups but people are warmer. I send out on average 75 set 4-5 appt usually get 4-5 apps husband wife This forum has giving me the insight to ask for fe right away usually I go after med sup to Ltc to annuities to life but adding fe right away can add some commission enhancement to start.

Add door knocking to the five houses around your appt sounds like a plan for success

Last edited:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd love to get a formal testimonial (or a sample card) to go in the book I'm writing. The other guy I know does it for merchant services and I'd love a second testimonial from the insurance industry. I'll be happy to put your info in the testimonial.

Latest posts

Back