Cold Calling Sucks - But It Works

Is there any way to block my phone so that the people I call do not see _______ ________ Insurance on their caller ID?

Is that even wise? Is that even legal?

Seriously, I'm getting about one actual answer in about 20-25 calls. I'm thinking that maybe it has to do with our agency name showing up on their caller ID, so they don't even pick up.

Surfy
If you're calling from your office phone, you can dial *67 to block all caller ID information, but that is probably worse because the caller ID will then read "private" or "blocked", telling the person you call that you are purposely trying to hide your identity. Anyone who answers a call like that deserves what they get.

You could have the phone provider change the caller ID display... but to what? People today just ignore calls from people they don't know, waiting to see if they leave a message. At least if the people see who is really calling (your agency), they can answer knowing who's calling. Those that actually answer won't be totally surprised and defensive. I personally just use my name on my caller ID.

I'll make a you a deal you can't refuse if your system is halfway decent. You set me up on your system (front the cost), and I'll split 50% of the first year commissions I earn. If your system is any good, you'll make a lot more money under this arrangement. Let me know.

That should be the standard answer to all these guys.

Has he taken you up on this great offer? 50% of something is better than 50% on nothing? Unless the something is really nothing.

This is an area I have vast experience. I started my career dialing for dollars every monday night! With a little success I moved to cold calling every day. My goal was to book 2 appointments a day and you know the numbers game after that. I'm sorry manually dialing just sucked the life out of me. I truly didn't find success until I started using auto dialers. It cuts the time in half and there is no finger dialing necessary. I just sit back and field calls...because lets face it... I'm lazy. ha. But seriously, everyone knows being on the phone sucks the life out of you and unless you let technology do the work for you.. it's just not worth it. Predictive Dialing is the way to go. There are a ton of companies out there. The one I am currently using is YTel This there landing page that will give the discounted Insurance rate of $99. It's definitely worth it...

This is great and very true.

Its funny how often things that you don't necessarily like to do -ARE GOOD FOR YOU

kind of like dieting and going to the gym.

thanks for the inspiration

Thank you for encouraging! I went for several days of cold calling, got no results and stopped it. Now I am thinking it was too early.

I have to say I completely agree. I'm not a new agent, but just started at a new agency so I have to rebuild my book. I hate the idea of cold calling almost as much as I hate picking up the phone, but it definitely does work. I cold call businesses only so it's probably easier than straight to consumers, but still the least fun part of my day.

Just today I got several people to agree to let me quote their insurance just from straight cold calls. I try hard not to have a robotic / scripted sound when I call and it seems to work alright. The worst rejection I ever get is "no thanks, we're all set" and I thank them and go on to the next one. I will definitely stick with it since it gets results.

Have you ever considered outsourcing?

Where would one get a list to upload in the YTel system?

Get a subscription to Cole's Directory, maybe $400-$500 a year and you run as many list as you want. I use them and download into MOJO sales dialer. It works great.

This post really is a good one. I am a big believer in cold calling...because it works. The problem...I just hated doing it. My big ego kept getting in the way. However, with the sales dialer I can make it through my sessions.

Case in point: I called yesterday. I was sitting back with a glass of scotch, watching the baseball game making calls. I got one piece of business and one good lead. Now...if I had to make those calls the "old fashioned way"...they never would have been made.

What is that saying...90% of being successful is just showing up.

Thanks for the great post!

Latest posts

Back