Cold Calling to Business Owners

Do you have a lead in product? Is there a shoulder product you could counter with to see if their broker handles it?

is your cold call pitch any more intricate than "we wanted to know how often you put out bids for your insurance" (or anything like that)?

In my head...thats basically all you can say on the cold call...
...imo the selling begins when youre face to face w/ the prospect.

So now im using a rapid fire approach just to see whose interested...and then I take it from there.

I would love to hear anyone elses take on this.

Justin is in the life & health side of the business (as am I), not P&C.

If I were in the P&C business cold-calling for policies, I would use the word 'compete' VERY heavily in my prospecting efforts. Compete is an EXCELLENT word to use when you're considered a commodity by the public and can't really promise specific results without doing a fact-find first.

"Hello, Mr. Bigg? This is DHK calling. I'm calling to see what it would take for us to compete for your insurance business?" Then give examples of what you've been able to do for other (hopefully similar) businesses.

Justin is in the life & health side of the business (as am I), not P&C.

If I were in the P&C business cold-calling for policies, I would use the word 'compete' VERY heavily in my prospecting efforts. Compete is an EXCELLENT word to use when you're considered a commodity by the public and can't really promise specific results without doing a fact-find first.

"Hello, Mr. Bigg? This is DHK calling. I'm calling to see what it would take for us to compete for your insurance business?" Then give examples of what you've been able to do for other (hopefully similar) businesses.
awesome...This has been my exact mindset.

Stop trying to "sell" them anything. "Listen to them"....determine what their needs and concerns are (you should already know....they're basically the same for all business owners) and offer solutions that can address those needs and concerns.....let them buy...and not be sold./QUOTE]

I agree, 100%. Most people think (especially those outside of the sales industry or new salespeople) that sales is all about talking. It is not. And Key2Success hit the nail on the head. It is more about listening and letting prospects buy.

View cold calling as a conversation. It should not be an agent selling something to a prospect. It is you trying to work with your prospects on solving their issues and problems.

Gist of a comment from a small business manager I know,

Somebody coming in here to sell me something had better be showing me how their product will help me run my business. I have no interest in how good you think your product is, I want to know how it is going to help me run or manage my business more effectively.

He then told me a story about two ins people that called on him, he listened to "the kid" for a few minutes and then thoroughly ripped the district manager trainer, in front of "the kid", for the poor and non-existent sales training he was

Sounds like a horrible person to have to talk to.

Last edited:
I am guessing since NinaA never responded to the request to clarify WHAT she was selling, and has not posted again in almost 2 years, that she either went and tried it on her own and had such glorious success that she never had to ask another question again.

Or she never made it and failed..

My fear is that she never made it.

Remember, it's a numbers game. You will get the small business owner that is happy with their agent/broker....just move on and get off the phone as fast as you can so you can make another dial. There's enough small business owners that are not happy with them. Or better yet when they get that renewal and their premium has just gone up...perfect timing. Keep dialing. Happy selling!

Back