Cold Calling Without a Gimmicky Script

I don't remember. I can *guess*:
B = Business Succession Planning
U = Unfunded Buy/Sell Agreements
S = Selective Compensation Planning
I = Insuring Key Persons
N = Non-IRS-Regulated Retirement Plans (I made this one up)
E = Overhead Expense
S = Split-Dollar Plans

However, Howard Wight - before he passed away - wrote this newsletter and there is a checklist for both personal and business planning matters (that I stole some of these ideas from). This might be helpful. See pages 8-9.

Attachments

• FinancialConceptsDec08.pdf
    270 KB · Views: 7
No, not really.

For many moons and suns, agents have also grown their business through direct mail, seminar marketing, print advertising, and the more traditional marketing methods.
. All marketing is essentially cold calling unless you already have some kind of relationship with the prospect. Even DM leads start out cold.

A good number of the posts here that talk about prospecting via phone, sound to me like a very gimmicky approach. Almost like you're trying to trick someone into having a conversation with you. The scripting just doesn't sit right with me. If I were being read that script, I would hang up.

I'm not an agent, yet, but I am in sales.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried and succeeded with a more straight forward, yet still scripted approach. For example.

For Health Insurance, calling on a small business.

"Mr. Jones, this is Mr. Smith from Smith Insurance. We haven't met but I'm a local insurance agent in town and I would like to be able to help you in lowering your health insurance costs, while keeping the same if not better coverage. Is this something that you would be interested in having a conversation about ?"

If Yes, "Great, what time can we speak ?"
If No, "OK, thanks for being upfront with me. I appreciate your time, I do have one last question. Is this something that any of your employees may be interested in or potentially a colleague who may be paying too much? or without health coverage ?"

For Life Insurance & P&C, calling on a a homeowner.

"Hello, may I speak with Mrs. Jones, this is Ed Smith from in town."

If Yes, Mrs. Jones, my name is Ed Smith, I'm a local insurance agent and I live in town, about 10 minutes from you. I work with several folks in the community in helping them to lower their insurance costs while still receiving the same or better coverage. I've also helped people who couldn't find affordable coverage.

I know that you weren't expecting my call today, so I want to be respectful of your time. I also know how uncomfortable it is when people try and sell you stuff, and I promise, that is not my intent today. My approach is a little different. I like to provide 3 insurance options that outline what your coverages looks like today and what your coverages could look like as well as what your investments for those coverages would be.

There are three things that you can do with them. You can use them in talking with your existing agent to get a better deal, you could find them interesting and we could speak further, or you can throw them away or use them to start a fire next winter.

Would you be interested in having a 15 minute conversation with me later this week to see if I can help you get a better value for less money ?"

If No, OK, thank you for being so up front with me. If you do know someone without coverage, or someone who has difficulty obtaining coverage, my phone # is xxx-xxx-xxxx. I may be able to help them. Have a nice day.

This is what I plan to do when I become an agent. Has anyone tried more of a straight forward approach like this and do they work ? If not, do you think that they would work ?

I know that that's a lot to say on a cold call. So I'll assume that I would get hung up on at least 1/3 of the time. That aside, what are your thoughts on this approach ? Can you see the difference in how this feels vs. some of the other approaches ?

-S
This script is bad because it is too long and drawn out and the seller is talking too much.

OK, does this sound better?

My name is ____________ and I’m a Financial Advisor here in ________________. If you’re like me, I’m sure you hate to get phone calls out of the blue, but can you give me 30 seconds to explain why I am calling?(99% will say yes, and now it's their idea, plus you will peak their interest)

My firm (______________) specializes in Retirement, college planning and insurance, and with all the changes that have gone on recently your last financial review might be obsolete. What I would like to do is meet with you next week for about 20 minutes for a financial review. Which day would be the best for you?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
comments welcome....
This is boring. You talk to much about things I don't care about. It' not conversational.

Back