Cold Knocking

onefastpony

Guru
100+ Post Club
I've had a few people reach out to me wanting to know what my "secret sauce" is for cold knocking a list. Well, It's really not rocket surgery, so I figured I would post how I approach a cold door off a list and what I say.
If any body has any feedback...have at it.

When I first started doing FE I couldn't afford leads, so I parked in a neighborhood and cold knocked. Well, after doing it for a while I realized that every 50 doors for me was a sale averaging 600AP.

I then was able to start buying leads. Well, In January I did my own mail drop aside from EFES and I also ordered the mail list that all the mail went to. I started knocking that list just as soon as I got it. I made 5 sales just from knocking the list over a two day period.

I then noticed that if I had a targeted list instead of just cold knocking a neighborhood, my numbers were better.

Now don't get me wrong. I will take a lead over straight cold knocking, but I feel that taking one day a week to straight cold knock will keep me on my toes and have the chance at some extra AP.

Ok, so here is what I do at the door. Now your job on cold knocking a list is to just see if there is any interest. You can not go into overcoming objections at the door if the person has no interest. Your job is to see if there is ANY INTEREST at all. If there is none, move on.

When I go to the door I carry my leads with me. Yea, I know this person did not mail in a lead card. I have my list tucked under my leads held together by a different clip.

I knock on the door and ask for the person by name.

Example: " Hi, Linda!..... I'm Chris. We recently mailed you this card and I wanted to come out and visit with you."

Now at this point you hand the person the card. I know it is not their card because they didn't send one back. But these people get so much mail that it doesn't matter. If the person says that this isn't my name say "I Know, We mailed this card to you but we haven't' gotten yours back yet. DO you have a few minutes?"

Now, if the person doesn't say "this isn't my name on it," Then simply give them a few seconds to read the lead card that you handed them. Once you feel they have had time to read it just simply ask, "Do you have a few minutes?"

You will get some kind of reaction. Your job is not to sell them at the door or give them a ton of info at the door. You're looking for interest. When knocking a list it is a #'s game and you need to stack the odds in the house's favor.

Once you ask them if they have few minutes and they say yes, BOOM, you're into giving your presentation.

I hope this helps. If you need anything just shoot me a PM.

Chris

Nice thread, Chris -- I think that's one of the major advantages of cold knocking final expense prospects -- with the saturation of direct mail, they have ALL seen these lead cards at one point or another in the past few months.

I bet an agent can just get a slightly-demoed list -- $0-$50k, rural, 60-75 -- and grab a spare card and do just as fine.

What kind of numbers are you getting with cold knocking the targeted list?

I've had a few people reach out to me wanting to know what my "secret sauce" is for cold knocking a list. Well, It's really not rocket surgery, so I figured I would post how I approach a cold door off a list and what I say. If any body has any feedback...have at it. When I first started doing FE I couldn't afford leads, so I parked in a neighborhood and cold knocked. Well, after doing it for a while I realized that every 50 doors for me was a sale averaging 600AP. I then was able to start buying leads. Well, In January I did my own mail drop aside from EFES and I also ordered the mail list that all the mail went to. I started knocking that list just as soon as I got it. I made 5 sales just from knocking the list over a two day period. I then noticed that if I had a targeted list instead of just cold knocking a neighborhood, my numbers were better. Now don't get me wrong. I will take a lead over straight cold knocking, but I feel that taking one day a week to straight cold knock will keep me on my toes and have the chance at some extra AP. Ok, so here is what I do at the door. Now your job on cold knocking a list is to just see if there is any interest. You can not go into overcoming objections at the door if the person has no interest. Your job is to see if there is ANY INTEREST at all. If there is none, move on. When I go to the door I carry my leads with me. Yea, I know this person did not mail in a lead card. I have my list tucked under my leads held together by a different clip. I knock on the door and ask for the person by name. Example: " Hi, Linda!..... I'm Chris. We recently mailed you this card and I wanted to come out and visit with you." Now at this point you hand the person the card. I know it is not their card because they didn't send one back. But these people get so much mail that it doesn't matter. If the person says that this isn't my name say "I Know, We mailed this card to you but we haven't' gotten yours back yet. DO you have a few minutes?" Now, if the person doesn't say "this isn't my name on it," Then simply give them a few seconds to read the lead card that you handed them. Once you feel they have had time to read it just simply ask, "Do you have a few minutes?" You will get some kind of reaction. Your job is not to sell them at the door or give them a ton of info at the door. You're looking for interest. When knocking a list it is a #'s game and you need to stack the odds in the house's favor. Once you ask them if they have few minutes and they say yes, BOOM, you're into giving your presentation. I hope this helps. If you need anything just shoot me a PM. Chris

Nice approach. I like it.

See if Chris will give you a copy of a state specific card without anybody's name and address info on it.

Then hand them the copy of the blank card just like your doing now.

I think handing them a card that was mailed to someone else creates an unnecessary objection to have to deal with IMO.

What kind of numbers are you getting with cold knocking the targeted list?

My average is at least 600AP for every ten doors.

When I first stated in FE I couldn't afford any leads. I would park and knock an entire neighborhood.
The only problem with that is the heat here in Florida and having to carry my crap with me.

At least knocking a list I can get some A/C in between doors and I can leave my tablet, apps, and other non essential things in my car until I'm ready for a sale.

My average is at least 600AP for every ten doors.

When I first stated in FE I couldn't afford any leads. I would park and knock an entire neighborhood.
The only problem with that is the heat here in Florida and having to carry my crap with me.

At least knocking a list I can get some A/C in between doors and I can leave my tablet, apps, and other non essential things in my car until I'm ready for a sale.

So you'd rather risk $40,000 plus on marketing annually instead of closing 5000-6000 AP weekly WITHOUT operating costs working 20-30 doors a day, 5 days a week?

Are you crazy?!

So you'd rather risk $40,000 plus on marketing annually instead of closing 5000-6000 AP weekly WITHOUT operating costs working 20-30 doors a day, 5 days a week? Are you crazy?!

I don't think that is what he is saying he is saying he takes the list that he has Chris drop mailers to and when working the return cards he is also cold DK the list to keep his activity high.

So you'd rather risk $40,000 plus on marketing annually instead of closing 5000-6000 AP weekly WITHOUT operating costs working 20-30 doors a day, 5 days a week?

Are you crazy?!

I've explained to Joe over at EFES that I DON'T NEED LEADS!!!

I know that if I knock x number of doors off of a list I'll get x amount of AP.

The only advantage to leads is it streamlines the ones that have shown an interest of some sort.

Right now my leads with EFES are so far spread out that me working leads five days a week is horrible. I'd rather knock my list since I know what my return is.

I could survive and produce really good AP without leads. I think as FE agents we've been lured into thinking that "Hey, you need leads in order to survive!"

Well, if an agent is committed and has a good work ethic, YOU DON'T NEED LEADS.

But when your leads are combined with DK'ing a list you're production will be even larger.

Let's assume that I get 20 leads a week, off those leads there are three married couples giving me 26 people to see.
I sell 6 policies for 600AP, minus my lead cost that is 3760AP @ 120%

Now It won't take me five days to see 20 leads. So on let's say two days of the week I just DK my list. I knock 20 doors each day and make 2400AP with no lead cost, that is an additional 125K with no direct lead cost.

For a total production of 320K with just paying 29K for DM leads.

Last edited:
I've explained to Joe over at EFES that I DON'T NEED LEADS!!!

I know that if I knock x number of doors off of a list I'll get x amount of AP.

The only advantage to leads is it streamlines the ones that have shown an interest of some sort.

Right now my leads with EFES are so far spread out that me working leads five days a week is horrible. I'd rather knock my list since I know what my return is.

I could survive and produce really good AP without leads. I think as FE agents we've been lured into thinking that "Hey, you need leads in order to survive!"

Well, if an agent is committed and has a good work ethic, YOU DON'T NEED LEADS.

But when your leads are combined with DK'ing a list you're production will be even larger.

Let's assume that I get 20 leads a week, off those leads there are three married couples giving me 26 people to see.
I sell 6 policies for 600AP, minus my lead cost that is 3760AP @ 120%

Now It won't take me five days to see 20 leads. So on let's say two days of the week I just DK my list. I knock 20 doors each day and make 2400AP with no lead cost, that is an additional 150K with no direct lead cost.

But you said 10 doors is 600AP. 20 doors would be 1200 right?

Back