College Funding market

If I were to use life insurance for "late college planning" (high school sophomore and juniors)... I'd have to use an IUL with waiver of surrender charges on the parents, so there's 100%+ liquidity of what is being contributed. Of course, there may be a higher risk of chargeback and that's included in the commission agreement up to 3 years... but that would be the only way I could ethically do it.

If I were to use life insurance for "late college planning" (high school sophomore and juniors)... I'd have to use an IUL with waiver of surrender charges on the parents, so there's 100%+ liquidity of what is being contributed. Of course, there may be a higher risk of chargeback and that's included in the commission agreement up to 3 years... but that would be the only way I could ethically do it.

and those early values/surrender waiver riders tend to also have long term impact to the policy performance in exchange for the early values buildup/surrender waiver. So, it is bit of tight rope

and those early values/surrender waiver riders tend to also have long term impact to the policy performance in exchange for the early values buildup/surrender waiver. So, it is bit of tight rope
When I have use the no surrender penalty option, it didn't affect the policy values, it affected my commission.

Reactions: DHK
When I have use the no surrender penalty option, it didn't affect the policy values, it affected my commission.
that is good. I do know some of the commissions are spread out over 3-5 years to compensate for the lack of surrender protection, but I had also seen CV performance impacted I believe on a Minnesota Life IUL case involving a business needing early values for their balance sheet.

not a big noticeable impact, but a $2-3k difference in year 10 or 15 compounds to be $40k lower on both CV & DB in year 35. upload_2019-3-13_18-42-15.png

on the cases I am talking about, it has only made a fraction of a % difference in year 5/10/15 of $2-3k, but after year 35-40, that has become a $50k difference in cash value--still only a small difference when talking about a projected $1.5M CV. basically, a small tradeoff for client for early values without surrender charge. Really only needed for the most part in those large business cases that need a cash asset to retain its value on the balance sheet

It should be included in this conversation that the cost of college has increased beyond the value of the education provided in many cases. I will not send my child to 99% of all universities in this country for anything other than a STEM education. That is being compromised as well.

Teachers at universities in this country should be embarrassed at the situation they created. There are exceptions, but few. Yes, the teachers are at fault. They are not the noble educators of our children they and others make them out to be. smh

Last edited:
Most students and parents don't "financially underwrite" their educational pursuits. That's one area where the government can actually HELP! The Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook can help parents and students make more informed decisions about what fields they should be looking into to help ensure a quality income for the money spent.

In short - computer programming is in far more demand than a philosophy degree.

Home : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Back