College Health Insurance Agent

nolde05

Hi Everyone,

I am a student attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison and am interested in earning my license and beginning to sell health insurance. I already understand that I will need to attend a few mandatory classes and pass the exam. In which these will be accompanied by some monetary fees.

I already have a health insurance company that would be willing to create a website for me that would be a portal to their products. If a customer decides to purchase the product, I would then receive a percentage of the payment monthly.

Do you think its advantageous to be on a large campus? Do you think the possibility of being profitable is great? What do you recommend to a newcomer in the world of insurance?

Thank you,
Brandon

Websites are a tool, not a means to an income unless you have a LOT of money to promote the site and a lot of patience.

Who is the carrier? Carriers offer boilerplate sites to agents at no charge. I am not aware of a carrier that will "build you a site".

Students are not usually a great market. Most have coverage thru their parents or the buy the crappy coverage offered to university students. Many do not have coverage and feel they don't need it. Purchasing insurance cuts into their beer budget so it is not a priority. If they do buy it is usually low premium plans. Be prepared to collect $10 - $15 per month commissions.

I am not trying to discourage you. Just being realistic.

The health insurance field can be a great place for a young, energetic agent. But like anything else, you will need to work your business. Hanging up a site and sitting back waiting to get rich won't cut it.

Check the rules in your state, but here in Michigan if you have a degree in insurance then you do not have to take the state exam, just apply for the license.

Thanks for the replies.

In regards to the website, I know a VP that will connect me with the person in charge of website creation for new agents. Therefore, they will aid me in the creation of this website.

What do you feel would be most beneficial in my position? Direct towards students on campus, direct towards all of Madison, all of Wisconsin?

Thank you
Brandon

Back