Columbian Mutual & Columbian Life

RTD19701

Expert
Hello to all,

I am new to the board and have been reading alot of the posts here. The information is fantastic and I am picking up alot of good ideas. My background is that I recently sold my captive book of business and I am looking to move on. I am considering going independent but I have some reservations.
Anyhow, I digress. The reason for this post is that I recieved a solicitation from this company, Columbian Mutual & Life, to become an agent with them. The only problem is I have never heard of them before.
Can anyone provide info regarding this outfit.

Thanx,

Tim

Hello to all,

I am new to the board and have been reading alot of the posts here. The information is fantastic and I am picking up alot of good ideas. My background is that I recently sold my captive book of business and I am looking to move on. I am considering going independent but I have some reservations.
Anyhow, I digress. The reason for this post is that I recieved a solicitation from this company, Columbian Mutual & Life, to become an agent with them. The only problem is I have never heard of them before.
Can anyone provide info regarding this outfit.

Thanx,

Tim

I looked at them a while back. They have a funeral pre-need product that is so-so. Not real competative with the competition. Same with their regular final expense. Worst thing was thier reps were very unfamiliar with the products and gave me totally incorrect answers to several questions I had.

The only thing I saw unusual with them is they still have a policy that can be collected monthly (what ever those are called) The agent collects and sends the payments in. Pays around 25% as earned. I wasn't interested in that but some might if they are working a low income area with clients who don't have bank accounts.

I currently have a contract with them, but have not built the book of business. They are a non-captive debit co. but also offer ordinary products. I have been wanting to build this thing but lack the fortitude, I guess. I have experience in the debit world but left to my own devices, I am not a self starter and not the self- motivated type. I think I need to return to the captive world, to have a mgr kick me in the booty.

Columbian Mutual Life Insurance Company has been around since 1882. They are rate A- Excellent with AM Best. They are domiciled in New York State. In the 1970's they formed a new Company: Columbian Life Insurance Company is domiciled in Illinois. in the past 10 years Columbian Mutual Life has merged with several other Mutual Companies;
Philanthrophic, Farmers & Traders Mutual Life, Detroit Mutual Life, and Unity Mutual Life.

Over the past eight years while many other Life Insurance Companies were struggling, Columbian has seen double digit growth in new life premium. The mergers have allowed Columbian to accomplish this by increasing its over all surplus reserves.

It is a solid "blue color Company that has survived the test of time!

REALLY??????????????????????????

You had to bring back a completely meaningless 4.5 year old thread???

Actually, re-reading your post, you must be an employee of them

REALLY??????????????????????????

You had to bring back a completely meaningless 4.5 year old thread???

Actually, re-reading your post, you must be an employee of them

wow, thanks to the poster above for bringing this back to remind me how non successful I have been over the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Did you find that sales manager to kick you in the booty?
No, I never did. I did go to about 4 or 5 different insurance companies since then, and quit, all had managers, most were captive, most managers were not too motivational. Not really great managers. But, I was not a real great agent, either. I even tried to open my own P&C agency, that did not go good. Massive amounts of mediocrity. If I spelled that right.

I even went back to my profession as a courier driver in that time, and even took a part time job as a merchandiser. now I'm kind of teetering between starting my own agency again but for life only, and/or working for another captive.

I see why people love the indy life, you want something done right, you want something sold, you must do it yourself. That's 100% true. I think that's why I quit on myself so easily as an indy, I'm used to quitting on the managers at the captive companies. It's a rut to get stuck in, the quitter's rut. I would suggest to anybody reading this: to not get in that rut. I have 5 years of non success as proof.

Back