Commercial Auto Question

Hi Experts,

I have a client driving a pickup and a trailer for auto transportation.
The trailer is so small that only one car can fit in at one time.
But he is looking to cover the car being transported.

Do you know any company will write the commercial auto and the trailer and the cargo/car being transported?

Thank you!

Hi Experts, I have a client driving a pickup and a trailer for auto transportation. The trailer is so small that only one car can fit in at one time. But he is looking to cover the car being transported. Do you know any company will write the commercial auto and the trailer and the cargo/car being transported? Thank you!

Usually the commercial auto coverage that will cover the vehicle will have something called "on hook" coverage.

Most carriers that write garages and towing operations, should have this coverage available

The on hook coverage would be for a tow operation like towing for hire, auto repossession, repair mechanic etc... If he is an automobile hauler as in he is picking a vehicle up and delivering it somewhere and then collecting a fee for hauling it then he needs a motor truck cargo policy.

Hi Experts,

I have a client driving a pickup and a trailer for auto transportation.
The trailer is so small that only one car can fit in at one time.
But he is looking to cover the car being transported.

Do you know any company will write the commercial auto and the trailer and the cargo/car being transported?

Thank you!

PROGRESSIVE.. I have several of these insured. They will write the commercial auto AND the cargo. Don't forget that you also need general liabilty coverage as the auto and cargo will not pay if he is loading and unloading the car and he hurts someone or damages their property.

You will also need to know how far he's hauling the cars as Progressive has an "unlimited" option. Progressive will also take care of any required filings, and he will need some. That is information that he will be required to get for you.

I apologize if I'm preaching to the choir, but anytime that you have a commercial auto and it is to be used for other than driving down the road, you need G.L coverage. As an example, if you have a well-drilling rig. When it's traveling down the road it is covered by the commercial auto but when it's drilling wells it is a G.L exposure.

Last edited:
Back