Commercial Trucking Insurance Question. A Real Pickle!!

jesterdesign7

The story:

I have a client who is a subcontractors who has his own truck, but works under another business owners DOT #. The subcontractors wants his own insurance.

Ok now to the core of the problem:
As explained to me by the general agent, I am working with. The insured party must have their own DOT # and since the subcontractor does not have his own. The insured is actually the business owner not the subcontractor.
The discrepancy is that it is legal to be a subcontractor and work under another business DOT # by law.

My question: Have you insured a subcontractor without his own DOT # and how did you go about doing it?

Last edited:
My understanding is, you use the companies DOT#

I would but It is my understanding that if anything should happen the insurer would not pay for any damages because the DOT # is not the insureds. They will basicly say that the business's insurance policy should cover the cost. But the Business insurance policy will also not pay becouse the truck is not declared in the contract. He can declare the truck on his policy and then have the subcontractor just pay the premium but any accidents would stay on the business's policy.

I am very frustrated with this. Why does the insurer force the person with the DOT # to carry all the responsibility of his subcontractors.

Back