Commercial X-Date Cold Call Script - (SHORT)

TheMike

I have used the below script for years to get the decision maker's name and XDATE for my commercial cold calls. It works very well because it is short and to the point. Let me know your thoughts..;)

Call Script for X-Date

Objective: To get X-Date….If you can’t get X-Date make sure to get appropriate contact name to call back….be sure to date when you spoke for future reference. When I have a name of a person to ask for I have an over 80% success rate of getting XDATEs.

Caller: “Good Morning my name is Mike and I am with # 1 Agency in ANYTOWN (if business located in your town reference the road you’re located on for commonality). How are you today?”

Gate Keeper: “Good”

Caller: “I’m calling because (The reason for my call is…) I am trying to get in touch with the person who would know what month your business insurance expires in for the year?”

Gatekeeper: It expired last month

OR

Gatekeeper: “Why do you need to know that?”

Caller: “Well the reason I ask is that I would like to offer a second opinion before it expires. Do you know who I would talk to about that?

Gatekeeper: “Sure Anita handles that….let me get her for you”

I like it, short and to the point is key, at least that's my opinion. Not sure how you are getting your prospecting lists now but there is an xdate service I've been using called insurancexdate.com. They're for commercial prospecting, no personal lines or health. It's been a good resource and is reasonably priced. I wish I kept better track of my time before using them for comparison, but in general prospecting takes up a lot less of my time now because I don't have to waste work time or come in over the weekend to put a calling list together.

My script is pretty much the same as yours except, when speaking to the receptionist I say something like - "I see your business insurance policies renew on (whatever date). We specialize in (whatever you do) and I'd like to speak with the person responsible for this to see if I may offer a quote."

Best of luck

I have used the below script for years to get the decision maker's name and XDATE for my commercial cold calls. It works very well because it is short and to the point. Let me know your thoughts..;)

Call Script for X-Date

Objective: To get X-Date….If you can’t get X-Date make sure to get appropriate contact name to call back….be sure to date when you spoke for future reference. When I have a name of a person to ask for I have an over 80% success rate of getting XDATEs.

Caller: “Good Morning my name is Mike and I am with # 1 Agency in ANYTOWN (if business located in your town reference the road you’re located on for commonality). How are you today?”

Gate Keeper: “Good”

Caller: “I’m calling because (The reason for my call is…) I am trying to get in touch with the person who would know what month your business insurance expires in for the year?”

Gatekeeper: It expired last month

OR

Gatekeeper: “Why do you need to know that?”

Caller: “Well the reason I ask is that I would like to offer a second opinion before it expires. Do you know who I would talk to about that?

Gatekeeper: “Sure Anita handles that….let me get her for you”

Sorry, but I'm not a fan.

1.I would never ask how someone is doing because I really don't care and they know that (it's rhetoric). That is also what everyone else say's, like you. They've heard it a million times. I want to be different.

2. Second, my goal is not X-Dates, I consider it a success if I get the D.M. name because I now know who to ask for when I call back or drop-in in the future.

3.I try to set an appointment to "simply introduce myself and tell them a little about our agency. Can they give me a few minutes to do that)EVERYONE ELSE is asking for X-dates.

4.I sell a lot of commercial insurance and most of my book of business was written mid-term when there are no other sharks in the water, like you would be. I WILL KEEP AN X-DATE IF NECESSARY BUT I WON'T QUOTE THE BUSINESS IF I CAN'T GET AN APPOINTMENT TO SET DOWN WITH THEM AND APPLY THE WEDGE. If they just want to email some stuff, NO THANK YOU!!

5.I also try to get loss runs at the very end so other agents like you don't get made aware of my plans to switch them, unless something just doesn't seem right.

JUST MY OPINION!!!

I never ask how they are doing, as it always leads to a one word reply. They are busy and want you to get to the point. I also don't care when the x date is as you can find comp x dates on ncci.com and I lead with comp due to my 'particular set of skills' that I don't like giving away! I do like that it's short and to the point. But I'd rather get a DM than an x-date. Just my opinion.

Back