Commision increase

Not saying he is not but I always am a little cautious with self described honest people. Once bought a car from Honest Bob's Used Cars. :)

Yep. When people have to tell me they're "honest" or a "Christian" instead of letting their actions show me, I'm always wary.

I recently had an issue with a handyman (kid - 26 years old). He used to be an employee of a landscaping company we hired in the past. He's done work at our house before. The guy who owned the company decided to shut it down so this kid decided to make a go of it on his own. He stopped by a few months ago to give us a flyer and let us know he was starting his own company (I admire the hustle and always want to help out the little guy).

Anyway, we called him in January to see about getting some work done. As we were going around the yard pointing out what all we need done, my wife mentioned she wanted to have the wrought iron furniture around the pool refinished. He said he could do it and even had pictures of similar work on his business Facebook page.

He picked up the furniture on January 31st (2 tables, 13 chairs, 2 chase lounge chairs and a bench rocker). We had him sign a contract outlining all the work to be done in the yard and the furniture along with the cost. I broke one of my own rules and gave him about 30% of the total charges up front (the cost of supplies and labor for the furniture). But since he had done work at our home in the past I wasn't terribly uncomfortable doing this.

Toward the end of the first week he asked if he could have a little more time to finish the furniture. We told him that would be fine as we weren't in a big hurry. Fast forward about 10 days later and it still isn't finished. At that point I gave him a deadline of February 24th (a Friday). He reached out on Wednesday and asked if he could have until Sunday as the rain we had put him behind on his other jobs. I reluctantly agreed. On Sunday he said his fiancé got called into work and he had to watch her kids and couldn't bring the furniture. He said he'd bring it Monday. I questioned whether or not the work was even completed. He assured me it was and said "I'm the most honest person you'll ever meet". Monday rolls around and we get another excuse but he'd have it to us Tuesday. Then on Tuesday the time he was going to bring it kept getting pushed back. You guessed it, now it's Wednesday before he can bring it. We told him by noon on Wednesday. At about 11 he said it would be 1 or 2. Then it was 5 or 6. At this point I told him he was leaving me no choice but to call the police. It was at this point that he told us he wasn't finished with the furniture. He said he still had two chairs to finish. At about 6:45 he said between 8 and 9.

At that point I told him if it wasn't at my house at 9 I would be calling the police and reporting the furniture stolen (which would be a felony based on the value of the furniture). At 8:30 I sent him a text and said, "I hope you're on your way. In 30 minutes I'll be calling the police". It had been storming up until about 8 that night. When I sent him this last text he tried blaming the weather as to why he wouldn't be at my house by 9. Said I was "un human" for expecting him to risk his life driving in the rain. I reminded him it was no longer raining and he had until 9.

At 9:01 I called the police. At 9:05 I texted him and told him the police were on their way to my house. From here on out there were lots of texts going back and forth. Again we were being reminded by him how honest he is and that he never lied to us.

When the police showed up we explained what was going on, showed him the contract and the numerous texts. I told the officer I really didn't want to take it this far but I was out of options. He tried to call the guy from my cell phone. No answer (which I told the officer would happen). So he tried calling from his cell and again, no answer. He looked up which officer was working this guys area and hit him up on the radio to go by the guys house and make contact. I then sent a text to the kid and told him the cops were on their way to his house (he still lives with his parents). His attitude changed at that point. Asking us to please not send the cops to his house and he would get it to us shortly. The officer made contact and at 10 told the officer at our house that he was loading the furniture up on his trailer. He lives 15 miles away. I'm guessing 20 minutes to load and 25-30 minutes to get here, I should have my furniture no later than 11.

At 11:35 I text him asking where he is. He replies "on my way". At 12:20 I text again and this is when the real fun starts. He replies with "hahaha, I didn't realize I had a time limit. I'm almost there. I won't bother explaining because you'll just say it's an excuse". Then about 10 minutes later he sends me a text asking about getting paid for his labor and that the money we gave him was for supplies. I explained we had a signed contract stating the money we gave up front was for the supplies and labor for the furniture. Yet another 15 minutes later and he's telling me he's going to keep my furniture until I pay him. That's when I called the cop who came to my house (he gave me his cell). He said he would come back to my house but it would be about an hour. He said when he got here he'd take an official report and then go arrest the kid.

I sent the kid a text telling him what would be happening in about an hour. He said I was being childish and that when he got here I better not come outside. I told him not to get it twisted and that he would be on MY property and I'd do anything I damn well please on my property. His next response was he was putting my effing furniture on the grass by the road and to stay the eff away from him. He arrived at about 1:15 am and parked in the road and proceeded to unload my furniture in my grass right by the road. I made sure I walked outside with my Glock strapped on my side just in case he wanted to try something stupid.

I went back and read the numerous texts and he said he was "honest" or "never lied" 11 times between Sunday and Wednesday. Here's the kicker, he sent me a text on Thursday (literally 12 hours after finally delivering my furniture) saying he was sorry how that all happened and he'd still come do the other work and reduce the price. I didn't bother to respond. A few hours later he sent a series of texts reducing the price each time. Again, I didn't respond.

So yeah, when someone has to tell me they're honest, that's an automatic red flag.

By the way, he did finish the furniture before dropping it off. So that's one positive in the whole ordeal.

Yep. When people have to tell me they're "honest" or a "Christian" instead of letting their actions show me, I'm always wary.

I recently had an issue with a handyman (kid - 26 years old). He used to be an employee of a landscaping company we hired in the past. He's done work at our house before. The guy who owned the company decided to shut it down so this kid decided to make a go of it on his own. He stopped by a few months ago to give us a flyer and let us know he was starting his own company (I admire the hustle and always want to help out the little guy).

Anyway, we called him in January to see about getting some work done. As we were going around the yard pointing out what all we need done, my wife mentioned she wanted to have the wrought iron furniture around the pool refinished. He said he could do it and even had pictures of similar work on his business Facebook page.

He picked up the furniture on January 31st (2 tables, 13 chairs, 2 chase lounge chairs and a bench rocker). We had him sign a contract outlining all the work to be done in the yard and the furniture along with the cost. I broke one of my own rules and gave him about 30% of the total charges up front (the cost of supplies and labor for the furniture). But since he had done work at our home in the past I wasn't terribly uncomfortable doing this.

Toward the end of the first week he asked if he could have a little more time to finish the furniture. We told him that would be fine as we weren't in a big hurry. Fast forward about 10 days later and it still isn't finished. At that point I gave him a deadline of February 24th (a Friday). He reached out on Wednesday and asked if he could have until Sunday as the rain we had put him behind on his other jobs. I reluctantly agreed. On Sunday he said his fiancé got called into work and he had to watch her kids and couldn't bring the furniture. He said he'd bring it Monday. I questioned whether or not the work was even completed. He assured me it was and said "I'm the most honest person you'll ever meet". Monday rolls around and we get another excuse but he'd have it to us Tuesday. Then on Tuesday the time he was going to bring it kept getting pushed back. You guessed it, now it's Wednesday before he can bring it. We told him by noon on Wednesday. At about 11 he said it would be 1 or 2. Then it was 5 or 6. At this point I told him he was leaving me no choice but to call the police. It was at this point that he told us he wasn't finished with the furniture. He said he still had two chairs to finish. At about 6:45 he said between 8 and 9.

At that point I told him if it wasn't at my house at 9 I would be calling the police and reporting the furniture stolen (which would be a felony based on the value of the furniture). At 8:30 I sent him a text and said, "I hope you're on your way. In 30 minutes I'll be calling the police". It had been storming up until about 8 that night. When I sent him this last text he tried blaming the weather as to why he wouldn't be at my house by 9. Said I was "un human" for expecting him to risk his life driving in the rain. I reminded him it was no longer raining and he had until 9.

At 9:01 I called the police. At 9:05 I texted him and told him the police were on their way to my house. From here on out there were lots of texts going back and forth. Again we were being reminded by him how honest he is and that he never lied to us.

When the police showed up we explained what was going on, showed him the contract and the numerous texts. I told the officer I really didn't want to take it this far but I was out of options. He tried to call the guy from my cell phone. No answer (which I told the officer would happen). So he tried calling from his cell and again, no answer. He looked up which officer was working this guys area and hit him up on the radio to go by the guys house and make contact. I then sent a text to the kid and told him the cops were on their way to his house (he still lives with his parents). His attitude changed at that point. Asking us to please not send the cops to his house and he would get it to us shortly. The officer made contact and at 10 told the officer at our house that he was loading the furniture up on his trailer. He lives 15 miles away. I'm guessing 20 minutes to load and 25-30 minutes to get here, I should have my furniture no later than 11.

At 11:35 I text him asking where he is. He replies "on my way". At 12:20 I text again and this is when the real fun starts. He replies with "hahaha, I didn't realize I had a time limit. I'm almost there. I won't bother explaining because you'll just say it's an excuse". Then about 10 minutes later he sends me a text asking about getting paid for his labor and that the money we gave him was for supplies. I explained we had a signed contract stating the money we gave up front was for the supplies and labor for the furniture. Yet another 15 minutes later and he's telling me he's going to keep my furniture until I pay him. That's when I called the cop who came to my house (he gave me his cell). He said he would come back to my house but it would be about an hour. He said when he got here he'd take an official report and then go arrest the kid.

I sent the kid a text telling him what would be happening in about an hour. He said I was being childish and that when he got here I better not come outside. I told him not to get it twisted and that he would be on MY property and I'd do anything I damn well please on my property. His next response was he was putting my effing furniture on the grass by the road and to stay the eff away from him. He arrived at about 1:15 am and parked in the road and proceeded to unload my furniture in my grass right by the road. I made sure I walked outside with my Glock strapped on my side just in case he wanted to try something stupid.

I went back and read the numerous texts and he said he was "honest" or "never lied" 11 times between Sunday and Wednesday. Here's the kicker, he sent me a text on Thursday (literally 12 hours after finally delivering my furniture) saying he was sorry how that all happened and he'd still come do the other work and reduce the price. I didn't bother to respond. A few hours later he sent a series of texts reducing the price each time. Again, I didn't respond.

So yeah, when someone has to tell me they're honest, that's an automatic red flag.

By the way, he did finish the furniture before dropping it off. So that's one positive in the whole ordeal.

Well, I'm the most P.C. guy around.:twitchy:

:no:

Back