Commission Split - No Bloviating

lhpgators

Expert
I've been scouring the threads and found several commission split conversations, but never seem to get a straight answer. Way too much added and unnecessary commentary. Please Please PLEASSSSEEEE lets do this thread right once and for all :) I say this with peace and love.

Answer like this and ONLY like this...

Base yes/no
New Business Split Agent/Agency
Renewal Split Agent/Agency
State

No Base
50/50
40/60
Florida

Peace and love, peace and love

I've been scouring the threads and found several commission split conversations, but never seem to get a straight answer. Way too much added and unnecessary commentary. Please Please PLEASSSSEEEE lets do this thread right once and for all :) I say this with peace and love.

Answer like this and ONLY like this...

Base yes/no
New Business Split Agent/Agency
Renewal Split Agent/Agency
State

No Base
50/50
40/60
Florida

Peace and love, peace and love

What's the context? Are you looking to hire?

What's the context? Are you looking to hire?

Yes, but that has nothing to do with how I would like people to respond. Just trying to get poll results. This is what I'm talking about "please no bloviating." If you would like to take part, just answer as requested...

No Base
50/50
40/60
Florida

or

$20,000 Base
40/60
30/70
Texas

etc, etc. Peace and Love :)

15600 base (min wage)
30/70 new and renewal PL
40/60 new and renewal CL
When it makes sense for the producer, go to no base and 50/50 split.
Some marketing allowance available to producer if they present a reasonable plan to take action on.
South Carolina

edit: Agency owns book, but I modeled my vesting addendum to look similar to (but more generous than) what was offered in my contract when I was a producer. They get the opportunity to continue receiving their current rate of commission, for as long as the business stays on the books, for up to 60 months, depending on time with agency and their premium volume. Extended earnings are completely forfeited the moment they solicit a client they brought in for my agency.

Last edited:
Yes, but that has nothing to do with how I would like people to respond. Just trying to get poll results. This is what I'm talking about "please no bloviating." If you would like to take part, just answer as requested...

No Base
50/50
40/60
Florida

or

$20,000 Base
40/60
30/70
Texas

etc, etc. Peace and Love :)

SUGGESTION: add to the list "Do you own your BOB?"
So the list should say

No Base
50/50
40/60
Florida
Yes/No?

I THINK this is an "IMPORTANT" factor to consider.

15600 base (min wage)
30/70 new and renewal PL
40/60 new and renewal CL
When it makes sense for the producer, go to no base and 50/50 split.
Some marketing allowance available to producer if they present a reasonable plan to take action on.
South Carolina

So you are giving 70% of renewal to the producer? Or are you saying the producer gets 30% of new and renewal?

$2k-$3k a month base, lower the amount the longer it should be in play. I think it takes a good 24 months to get into a rhythm for P&C.

40/20, 50/30, but if no base then I would expect to make 70-80 on the front 1st year in the business, otherwise you will starve to death IMHO.

1st year-$50k, either base+Comm r Hi Comm only

2nd year-$75K

3rd year-$100k

That should be the plan or goal...if you fall a little short it's OK, no shame in 40-60-80 and then hit $100k sometime in the year 4-5 range.

If you want to make $200k a year it's gonna take a lot of hours and time, like 2,500-3,000 hours a year, I would settle into a $50k/yr mentality to start and then build out form there. Someone is only limited by their drive and education, keep pushing.

36k Base

NB - Agent 30/Agency 70
R - Agent 10/Agency 90

North Dakota

Getting killed on the renewal, but principal has not been open to talking about a 100% commission option.

36k Base

NB - Agent 30/Agency 70
R - Agent 10/Agency 90

North Dakota

Getting killed on the renewal, but principal has not been open to talking about a 100% commission option.

Greetings, TY 4 sharing your 1st post including salary/Comm split. I think that plan you are on is good for the 1st 1-2 years but then should be able to be renegotiated.

Back