Commission

jprm4boys

I work at an independent agency and I love my agent. However, recently I requested a raise and what he decided to do was put me on a monthly commission bonus plan. I will get 50% of all new business I write and he will not deduct money if any of the policies cancel. He is very generous person and there are only 3 of us in the office since 1 lady retired. When the lady retired I took on all of her duties which are all service work and does nothing but tie me up a lot and that is why I deserve a raise. So the commission monthly bonus I am fine with because I am good at my job and really don't have a hard time writing new business. But now that I am on a bonus commission plan I think I should be getting the new business, the additional quotes our current clients are requesting but that is not happening. My agent is taking the information and doing the quotes himself. I feel like he is taking money away from me and I don't believe it is on purpose but he has to know that literally takes money away from me. I really don't know if I am out of line and if I should even broach the subject. I don't want to sound whiny or greedy but this is really bothering me. I would love some feed back and what your thoughts are. If you do think I should say something to him, some talking points would be much appreciated!! Thanks

I can’t imagine the agent intended to pay you a salary & also add a bonus to pay you on call ins & referrals from the existing book or his advertising. writing those policies is usually considered processing/servicing, not selling as it was not generated from your own sales & prospecting activities.

My guess is the commission & bonus would be from you bring in new customers from your friends & family or you making out bound phone calls or asking current clients while servicing for referrals or other lines of business you can quote.

These are just assumptions on my part from conversations with agents & staff over the years, but best for you to talk to him. Maybe make a list of all the various ways a new customer or piece of business can be written & then id each with whether they are considered a sale for commission or considered order taking process servicing that is already covered under existing job duties

Back