Comp or Coll Question

Sep 11, 2015

1. NotEnough

NotEnough Super Genius

State:
    California
    Had a client ask me this today so if you guys could help...that would be great..

If a car is stolen then found crashed, could comprehensive coverage kick in or collision?

2. djs

djs Super Moderator Moderator

State:
    California
    Don't over think it.

Comprehensive would cover the 'theft', but once its found, it is recovered, then collision would cover the accident, making this actually a collision claim with most carriers.

In my experience, if the 'theft' and recovery occur pretty quickly, it was the insured trying to hide a DUI and abandoning their car after they ran into something. Not saying that is the case here, but I watched it happen multiple times in claims. Usually can't be proven, the insured avoids a DUI, but they still get the collision claim.

If someone asks this question out of the blue, I would be very careful. I know some people are just curious, some are making plans to cover some bills or to get out of a car payment.

Dan

djs, Sep 11, 2015
  3. NotEnough

NotEnough Super Genius

State:
    California
    Thank you! Yeah I was quite skeptical as well too....I didn't think potential clients would over think a situation like that. I had one ask my question after question about BI limits/claims process when they don't work and have a cheap beater car while wanting the highest BI limits we offer.