Comp or Coll Question

NotEnough

Super Genius
Had a client ask me this today so if you guys could help...that would be great..

If a car is stolen then found crashed, could comprehensive coverage kick in or collision?

Don't over think it.

Comprehensive would cover the 'theft', but once its found, it is recovered, then collision would cover the accident, making this actually a collision claim with most carriers.

In my experience, if the 'theft' and recovery occur pretty quickly, it was the insured trying to hide a DUI and abandoning their car after they ran into something. Not saying that is the case here, but I watched it happen multiple times in claims. Usually can't be proven, the insured avoids a DUI, but they still get the collision claim.

If someone asks this question out of the blue, I would be very careful. I know some people are just curious, some are making plans to cover some bills or to get out of a car payment.

Dan

Don't over think it.

Comprehensive would cover the 'theft', but once its found, it is recovered, then collision would cover the accident, making this actually a collision claim with most carriers.

In my experience, if the 'theft' and recovery occur pretty quickly, it was the insured trying to hide a DUI and abandoning their car after they ran into something. Not saying that is the case here, but I watched it happen multiple times in claims. Usually can't be proven, the insured avoids a DUI, but they still get the collision claim.

If someone asks this question out of the blue, I would be very careful. I know some people are just curious, some are making plans to cover some bills or to get out of a car payment.

Dan

Thank you! Yeah I was quite skeptical as well too....I didn't think potential clients would over think a situation like that. I had one ask my question after question about BI limits/claims process when they don't work and have a cheap beater car while wanting the highest BI limits we offer.

Back